http://www.thebigview.com/buddhism/eightfoldpath.html

This link leads to an overview of the Eightfold Path that I am about to list.

1. Right View
2. Right Intention
3. Right Speech
4. Right Action
5. Right Livelihood
6. Right Effort
7. Right Mindfulness
8. Right Concentration

This path, this methodology, train of thought, process, this lifestyle can grant you all the benefits you need to live a successful life without a deity. Without the threat of eternal damnation and hellfire. You may ask why I can make such a bold statement. It's in the vein of having mutual respect of life. Wherein that by following this path, you will live the type of life that meets the moral grounds in which the Christians describe in the bible. I point this out merely as evidence that it is not a lack of a God that is responsible for the moral decay of man (and woman).

Outspoken non-violent, non-theists. <---I think this would scare a lot of Christians. lol

Views: 94

Replies to This Discussion

I began this journey with this path but found that I needed to connect with the Four Noble Truths to appreciate the wisdom pair view and intent.

1. Dukkha - suffering is not the best synonym but "that which one cannot bear" is too many letters.
2. Causation - seeking AND avoiding cause suffering because the impermanent self objectifies the environment. The edges and surfaces of furniture and house cats are convenient illusions.
3. Nirvana - not sure why this is in here but I bought 'Nevermind' on iTunes and I liked it.
4. Awakening - The Eightfold Path.

Why would four hours of Zen meditation cause suffering? I suffer when I try it. Is missing one meal suffering? Two meals? Nothing gets me in the car headed to Popeye's Fried Chicken faster than hunger. I am in pursuit of batter-fried goodness because I have been to Popeye's before and I believe that in the future a 'self' that is a neural correlate of consciousness - a temporary electrical field - seeks to repeat an unrepeatable event. You can never eat the same drumstick twice [Heraclitus]

I barely have a clue about Nirvanna and reading about it is like dancing about architecture.

RSS

Discussion Forum

"There's no such thing as an Atheist!"

Started by Ava Wilson. Last reply by Suzanne Olson-Hyde May 28, 2012. 21 Replies

The Eightfold Path

Started by paragon. Last reply by Kirk Holden Nov 29, 2010. 2 Replies

Buddhism: Atheists or Nontheists?

Started by Ava Wilson. Last reply by Ava Wilson Oct 31, 2010. 12 Replies

Events

Blog Posts

Labels

Posted by Quincy Maxwell on July 20, 2014 at 9:37pm 10 Comments

Services we love

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by Dan.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service