I got dipped 2 times. I was too young to really remember the first time, but I remember getting pressured into it the 2nd time by my parents and the preacher. It seemed more like an assembly line to me because there were 6-7 other kids behind me waiting. Maybe it was the church I went to, but I would think that something that symbolizes so much would be made more special and cherrished a bit more than just dunking someone under water, saying a few words and pushing them on their way. any other input?

Views: 468

Replies to This Discussion

It was my understanding that once was all anyone needed as for ever after one was in the fold as it were.  All religions are rife with pointless symbolism and ceremony, all of which is ludicrous, laughable and just plain whacked-out screwy-silly.  I remember one such affair at the "Christian Fellowship" to which my wife and kids dragged me for a year until I finally rebelled and made the final leap into full-blown atheism.  It was at the outdoor, former gold fish pond for the estate that became a very regal home for the equally whacked-out bunch of Pentecostal mob and some of the younger crowd was going under. 

One lass, quite lovely and well put together indeed was wearing her best, I suppose, dunking gear was taken backwards into the water as normal.  As she was brought back up, her water-soaked dress and the flimsy garments thereunder were rendered almost transparent, even to her, obviously very cold nipples that were standing at attention in stark relief and quite visible through the material; quite the entertaining show it was.

i got dipped once and it is a pressure I think religious parents put on the kids without really realizing it.  To some degree it could be considered emotional child abuse but then I see religious as abusive to all ages too.

I was baptized twice - sprinkled in the Moravian church, and dunked in the Church of Christ; then later confirmed/first communion in the Catholic church.  All of the above were to be a member of a community.

Ann

Thought third time was a charm but it didn't stick. Oh well. 

I was raised Catholic, so one baptism. You're baptized early (the first coupe of months), then you "re-affirm your belief" at Confirmation, which is just a baptism with oil instead of water (in about the sixth or seventh grade age or so). Confirmation for Catholics is like that, you have classes of 20+ children doing all the chants and you get blessed by the Bishop and BOOM! you're a full-fledged Catholic before you're in High School or formed your own opinion or thought. I think the classes are smaller if you convert as an adult. But the first baptism is usually just one or maybe two children, pretty individualized. At least here in Mobile it is.

Three times? I was so young the first time that I hardly remember it. The second time I MIGHT have been 9, at most. The third time, maybe 15? Right after I met my first husband, anyway. After that, I figured that if it was going to work, it would have by then.

?

Once when I was 12 in a lake in Alabama with a Baptist church

RSS

Discussion Forum

Witness Protection

Started by jen o. Last reply by 6ball Jul 9. 30 Replies

Dating a christian in the south...

Started by Jake Fanning. Last reply by Presley Jun 10. 31 Replies

A film with you guys in mind

Started by Dan Ashton Lloyd Jan 18, 2013. 0 Replies

Atheist Paradise

Started by Linda Turnipseed. Last reply by Unseen Dec 31, 2012. 30 Replies

Blog Posts

My Dad and the Communist Spies

Posted by Brad Snowder on August 20, 2014 at 2:39pm 2 Comments

Breaking Free

Posted by A. T. Heist on August 20, 2014 at 9:56am 5 Comments

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service