Hello! So I'm new to this group, website and being outwards with atheism, happily. I'm originally from TN but for the last 3 years I've been in Japan and Yuma AZ, so the people that I've known so well, and have known me the same, have naturally drifted out. What I did find funny though was when I did something as little as "Changed his religious preference to: Atheist." I'm not kidding, well over half of my "Friends list" offered me words/advice/prayer/some thought I was depressed and others said more or less to just fuck off. It was funny at first, but the more I thought, I just became outraged, at how more self concerned they all were. Now I do not care for concern from others and I really do not enjoy attention on me, but it's just funny how you never hear from these people, friends or even "family" until something small like a "status change". Just some thought. I really don't have many people(in person) to talk about my beliefs or even hold a decent conversation, mainly because they all have a god. lol So, I saw this Bible belt group and figured it would be a great place to start. The south sure is a monster of it's own. I look forward to speaking with you all. Good day!

Views: 123

Replies to This Discussion

I am from a small town called Altoona, in central Fl. The population here is less than one thousand and there are four churches.

My religious status on Facebook has been Atheist for a couple of years now, but I am constantly supprised when FB friends tell me they never knew I was "without god." Do people really not ever look my facebook page, or are they just in denial? I think a lot of people don't bother looking/asking becuase they naturally assume everyone is Christian, which drives me mad.

One of my former friends came to the conslusion that I was crazy after finding out I was an Atheist and, heaven forbid, believed in evolution. It was quite funny; his argument for my insanity and the fact that he'd known me for a while and never saw the ever so obvious "atheist" icon on my profile. C'est la vie.

I really don't feel any sadness for loosing friends over religion because it's their problem for being so narrowminded, not mine.

:)

Yes, they do assume that everyone is a Christian. That's why the question is never, "Do you go to church?" but "Where do you go to church?"

Haha, exactly.

RSS

Discussion Forum

Bible Belt: Unbuckled - Seeking Contributing Bloggers

Started by Will Sloan. Last reply by Jason Paisley on Wednesday. 2 Replies

Witness Protection

Started by jen o. Last reply by Alan Hotchy Sep 2. 31 Replies

Dating a christian in the south...

Started by Jake Fanning. Last reply by Presley Jun 10. 31 Replies

A film with you guys in mind

Started by Dan Ashton Lloyd Jan 18, 2013. 0 Replies

Blog Posts

What do you do with the anger?

Posted by dataguy on September 20, 2014 at 5:12pm 1 Comment

Aftermath

Posted by Belle Rose on September 20, 2014 at 2:42am 3 Comments

Ads

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service