Do you guys/girls think "In God we trust" should be remove from U.S. money?

Granted, it's a cumbersome issue and it was added then (on paper money) to distinguish us from the "Godless Communist", but at this point isn't it a bit childish. Most Christians respond with "Oh, it's a good thing, it's what makes us number one", or "Why can't they just leave it like it is? I guess they have to cater to the will of the minority." America is not number 1 in a lot anymore, sure a couple things like war, but our education system is ranked fairly poorly especially compared to China, Japan, or Sweden, which have good education systems and are mostly atheists, but just because we're not number 1 doesn't mean we can't be, we just have to fix the problem. Also, I don't understand how they say it would be catering towards the "minority", all it's doing is making it neutral and "In God we Trust" was added to it, as it was never there originally, and it replaced e. Plurubus unum.

Views: 370

Replies to This Discussion

The "In God we trust" always reminded me as if it was some sort of reference to Goddess Fortuna who was often displayed on Roman coins.  It became a bit of a personal quip to me that Americans seem to have made their money their most revered god and fortune. For that reason alone I would remove the god reference off the dollar.

Also because it is in reference to that one singular deity I find that the phrase can be offensive to anyone of different or no faith. One God, One Country, One people is a near fascist credo in a multicultural country like the USA. Somehow I doubt however that many Americans will agree with me on this point however. None the less I do think most Christians at least tacitly subscribe to that notion.

Giving a privilege has always been easier then to take one away. I think the Christians have been over privileged for far too long as is. Taking their privilege away however will cause plenty of resistance, tantrums and crying about it.

For all intends and purposes the money should be neutral because of the nature in which it is used.

As long it stays legal tender, I'm good. 'As far as I am concerned', they could make special $1.00 issue paper for the season of the year, or birthdays of scientists.

I expect in time, if 'smart paper' become available, there could be free encoded movie/trailers on each one, making them a collector's item. The government could then be 'paid' to print the $1.00 bill as an anvertising platform. Imagine the weirdness that could result, 'Debbie Does Dallas #12", just above 'In God We Trust'. Woow TMI...

Growing up in England, I'm very used to seeing the sign, in small shops, that says:-

In God We Trust
All Others Pay Cash

So having these words on money makes it a tad silly.  Honestly, cash is used less and less, these days, and somehow I can't see the credit card companies putting it on their plastic.  As cash becomes less and less tendered, I'm guessing the need for anything on a dollar bill will fade.  The dollar bills will probably become obsolete without the need for any major re-design.  I can't say I really care what the governments write on their currency, it's not like I have to read it.  I realise that there is a principle involved, but I have better battles for better principles to distract me.

I think there is plenty of valid religious basis for removing it, and if that aspect of it was pursued maybe it would happen. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WtjwdGeQ7kY

Teddy Roosevelt thought it was a sacrilege.  I agree, of course, but for exactly the opposite reason.

RSS

Support T|A

Think Atheist is 100% member supported

All proceeds go to keeping Think Atheist online.

Donate with Dogecoin

Members

Discussion Forum

How many times were you baptized?

Started by JJ. Last reply by Cynthia Armistead Dec 6, 2013. 62 Replies

Blog Posts

Seeing the man in the child.

Posted by Diane on April 19, 2014 at 9:52am 0 Comments

Videos

• Add Videos

Services we love

We are in love with our Amazon