Inevitable, I know.

They're an absolutely fascinating part of history but they do tend to get kicked around like a football in religious debates. There are a dazzling number of complexities, reasons and driving forces behind the crusades and it seems hardly fair to just say "because religion is evil" just as it's daft to claim religion had nothing to do with it.

My personal favourite insight into the crusades was the effect of ergotism. Ergotism is a condition derived from eating spoiled corn. When you're eating this infected corn it looks the same and tastes as you'd expect, but you then get some seriously freaky visions and hallucinations. There's been some interesting speculation that this had something to do with causing the religious fervour that encouraged weird things like the Peasants' Crusade.

Has anyone else studied the crusades?

Views: 23

Replies to This Discussion

"Terry Jones"give's a great historical run down on the crusade's, pretty darn funny as well, I also like his historical account's of the rise of Rome doco, some interesting and unknown version's of event's were discovered.

unfortunately i know nothing about the crusades... but i have read a bit about ergotism (caused by a hallucinogenic fungus) and it's some freaky stuff! I think the first documented cases of ergotism were on Barley in ancient greece (no corn in Europe until after contact with the Americas) but the fungus also grows on wheat so they could have def. been tripping on it at some point before/during the crusades. 

Also, not to digress, but on the subject of visions and war- i have heard a lot about Joan of Arc possibly suffering from what would be diagnosed as schizophrenia today. Any thoughts about the role of mental illness in religious visions and "messages from god"? 

RSS

Discussion Forum

The Crusades

Started by Alex Gibson. Last reply by Adele Jan 5, 2012. 3 Replies

Do any of you know about a female pope? (posted by meg)

Started by Morgan Matthew. Last reply by Tim Jones Jun 1, 2011. 4 Replies

History of the net

Started by Morgan Matthew Jan 9, 2009. 0 Replies

Blog Posts

Life Condensed

Posted by Cato Rigas on October 19, 2014 at 8:30pm 0 Comments

Cool Vehicle Inspection!

Posted by Ed on October 18, 2014 at 9:03am 2 Comments

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service