Well considering that the majority of the members of XBox Live are adolescent-to-young-adult males, I wouldn't expect much from the community at large in being friendly or even tolerant to gays or lesbians among them. But this takes it a step further, even Microsoft is not tolerant.

Identifying Yourself As A Lesbian Gets You Banned On XBOX Live

A member had her account banned because other players reported her profile as offensive because she identifies herself as a lesbian.

This isn't the first either, other players have been banned after identifying themselves as gay.

And the worst, "Richard Gaywood" was banned for having the word "gay" in his name. But its his legal name!

Seems like MS has gone so far to try to make sure that no one is offended, that they are becoming the bigots; or at least the bigot's puppets.

Tags: LGBT, Microsoft, XBox, XBox Live, gay, lesbian

Views: 66

Replies to This Discussion

I suspect that Microsoft isn't actively banning any specific groups, although who knows. I think the main problem is the Live team is depending too much on the Live in-game feedback. So they probably just say, oh that person's got a ton of negative in-game feedback, and they ban without even investigating. I imagine they don't have time to investigate the details of millions of cases.

The idiocy of so-called peers and crowd non-wisdom can be a problem sometimes. Kind of like how in Boston it takes just one idiot to think a lightbright is a bomb, or a blinky light breadboard on a shirt is a bomb, and guys with guns storm in. (Note: I'm not against the guys with guns, the idiocy happens before they get there).
I think you're right on the initial level, an admin just bans because multiple players report something offensive about a person. But then MS does little-to-no investigation in the appeal processes; and it seems in these cases they let the initial knee-jerk stand.

This is one of the stupidest things I have ever heard. I have xbox Live but I have to say that Microsoft sucks and that I would be on the PlayStation Network if Halo or Gears were for PS3.

This is bad, but I would think it imprudent to join an adolescent community introducing yourself as Gaylord Gaysmith, or anything similar.

Oh, and there was a teacher in one of my elementary schools whose name was Gaylord  - and as inappropriate as making fun of that might have been, kids can be very inappropriate.

RSS

Discussion Forum

Blog Posts

PI = 4

Posted by _Robert_ on September 16, 2014 at 8:53pm 4 Comments

Invictus

Posted by Marinda on September 11, 2014 at 4:08pm 0 Comments

Ads

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service