What are your perspectives?

Civil Disobedience-Noun 1. civil disobedience - a group's refusal to obey a law because they believe the law is immoral (as in protest against discrimination); "Thoreau wrote a famous essay justifying civil disobedience" direct action - a protest action by labor or minority groups to obtain their demands
sit-in - a form of civil disobedience in which demonstrators occupy seats and refuse to move
protest march - occasion when you can express opposition by marching (usually on some government institution) without a license.

The world is changing, ladies and gentlemen.

Hactivism is now a word, even though Google Chrome has it underlined in red like it isn't one. We are facing a new dawn of communication and organization.
Beside it is the evolution of a new kind of civil disobedience.

Talk to me. Share your ideas, your memories, your experiences and your points of view.
What is Civil Disobedience to you?
Have you ever been involved?
Would you like to be?
How would you go about it?
What rules would you write for yourself?

Misty:My creed of behavior and ethos, as defined by my own personal morality. 

Civil Disobedience- The deliberate disobedience to any law found to be in violation of basic human rights. This definition is based off the U.S Constitution and the motto "The right to swing your fist ends where another man's nose begins." 

Bloodless. My god, I can't tell  you how much I don't want to harm another human being in the pursuit of justice. I'm not a pacifist. I just feel like harming the very species I wish so wholeheartedly to protect is counter productive and counter intuitive. I want to make this world a better place. You can't do that at the expense to the individual. 

Murphy's law states that the person you hurt is the one there on payroll. Sure, we all want to take a crack at the black-hearted villain and just-as-guilty associates. But at the end of the day, 90% of the time it's the janitor that's killed when activists/radicals bomb the 'empty' building. It's a 19 year old college drop out with a baby on the way that just joined the military who gets bricked in the face. It's a cop who just came off of a two day bender because his wife left him, and he's picking up this shift because he needs the money who gets shot.  

Bloodless. Who am I kidding? Emotions run high at protests, abortion clinics, marches and sit ins. It takes a certain degree of bravery to go to these things with the idealism that you won't hurt someone else. People strike out when they are attacked. It's a natural tendency that has to be controlled. But your effectiveness depends on not breaking rank, not breaking formation, not letting go. Every time you put your hands on the enemy, you take your hands off the people that need your support. 

So just be ok with the fact that you are probably going to get your ass kicked. 

Hey, black eyes make for great beer-bait at the bar. (Beer-bait is having a cool enough story that someone buys you a drink.) 

That is as far as I am now. 

I'd love to hear the thoughts of others. 

Please share. 

Tags: 1st, amendment, civil, disobedience, march, protest

Views: 19

Replies to This Discussion

The thing about civil disobedience is that people can be genuinely sincere about their issue but still be wrong.  For instance, there's a lot of Christians who don't believe the Constitution prohibits the union of church and state.  If these wrong-headed people are in the majority, civil disobedience can apply a lot of pressure and the mob will likely have their way eventually.  I mean, what are we going to do?  Throw people in jail for praying in school?  In such a scenario, it can be hard to tell the difference between civil disobedience and mob rule.

Our democratic freedoms are subject to erosion and are constantly under attack from well-meaning idiots.  I'm not sure I like the idea of encouraging reactionary strategies among the unwashed masses.  I've lost a lot of faith in the common man and think the majority of people are fickle and unreliable.

RSS

Discussion Forum

Occupy Wall Street

Started by Misty: Baytheist Living! Oct 2, 2011. 0 Replies

Civil Disobedience

Started by Misty: Baytheist Living!. Last reply by Atheist Exile Jun 2, 2011. 1 Reply

Group Framework

Started by Misty: Baytheist Living!. Last reply by Geoff Foley May 22, 2011. 1 Reply

Potential Case interest?

Started by Misty: Baytheist Living!. Last reply by Atheist Exile May 14, 2011. 4 Replies

Blog Posts

What do you do with the anger?

Posted by dataguy on September 20, 2014 at 5:12pm 3 Comments

Aftermath

Posted by Belle Rose on September 20, 2014 at 2:42am 4 Comments

Ads

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service