I am on my phone for this post.

ZOMBIES! ahh!

I just played some resident evil 5 at a friends house. What is the obsession? She has 3 other zombie games on top of resident evil...

Whats the obsession with zombies? 

Explain!

Bonus question! 

How funny would it be to see a zombie jesus game? Or do they already have that?

Tags: zombies

Views: 781

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

All horror is trying to force us to recognize what is repressed and oppressed in our society. We all hate the idea of conformity but nevertheless conform in our own ways to conventions and traditions. For example we may feel cognitive dissonance when we get McDonald's because we're in a hurry, knowing in the back of our minds that they contribute to the destruction of the rainforest, drive local restaurants out of business and that the food is extremely unhealthy. We are conscious of our conformity yet hate that part of ourselves. We all like to think of ourselves as free-thinkers but we truly are not. Enter the modern zombie. Here is a creature, once human, now a mindless flesh-eater. Stalking through city streets in mobs, looking for victims to consume and convert to zombism. The zombie, modernly, represents that part of ourselves that we hate. The part that we fear will consume us and turn us into just another face in the crowd. It is a loss of identity, individualism. Scary stuff. It is no wonder people enjoy shooting them in the head.   

<pedantmode>  The enemies in Resident Evil 5 are not zombies, nor in Resident Evil 4.  The original G and T viruses allowed for the creation of "zombies" as well as other creatures, but since the fall of Umbrella the viral work has developed and the enemies you fight against are more like mind controlled drones than zombies </pedantmodeover>

As to the further point, zombies are just "in" right now, as are ninjas.  Ina  few years somehting else will be cool.  Anyone remember the craze over Badgers a few years back?

I think it has to do with them not only being excellent virtual cannon fodder and also a pretty scary horror creature, but the fact that they're the most relevant critique of humanity that horror fiction has. You can use them for pretty much any kind of social or political criticism.

I do not get the whole zombie thing but I recall back in the spring that the US Center for Disease Control (CDC) actually gave advice on who to deal with a zombie emergency !

http://blogs.cdc.gov/publichealthmatters/2011/05/preparedness-101-z...

It was at this point that I realised just how divorced from reality the US government had become when they have a major arm of their government issuing advice on B movie fantasies - talk about farking barking ! I was a also disturbed to see (though not entirely surprised) that they considered the third most important thing to ensure you had (after water and food) was your medications - forget a weapon to defend yourself with.

From this I concluded that :

1. US government is simply freakin INSANE, unable to tell fiction from reality. They invite you to join a "Zombie task Force" or buy a zombie t-shirt !
  2. they want you to keep taking the prozac and zoloft during a zombie attack because the continued income stream of Big Pharma is more important than the collapse of society.
  3. They do not want citizens to defend themselves but keep them reliant on government because then you are more controllable(and being medicated certainly helps as well !)

Judith vd R

On the contrary, it shows how sadly connected to reality they may actually be.  Even something like emergency preparedness -- generally a sober topic -- needs to be marketed with popular fads.  That's not to say there's anything wrong with a bit of levity in delivering a message; I'm just concerned that people are losing the ability to absorb any information they do not find immediately entertaining.

Really?

Some excerpts from the article the CDC put out:

You may laugh now, but when it happens you’ll be happy you read this, and hey, maybe you’ll even learn a thing or two about how to prepare for a real emergency.

emphasis mine

First of all, you should have an emergency kit in your house. This includes things like water, food, and other supplies to get you through the first couple of days before you can locate a zombie-free refugee camp (or in the event of a natural disaster, it will buy you some time until you are able to make your way to an evacuation shelter or utility lines are restored).

emphasis mine

Once you’ve made your emergency kit, you should sit down with your family and come up with an emergency plan. This includes where you would go and who you would call if zombies started appearing outside your door step. You can also implement this plan if there is a flood, earthquake, or other emergency.

"emergency plan" emphasis theirs. The bolded and underlined emphasis mine.

1. Identify the types of emergencies that are possible in your area. Besides a zombie apocalypse, this may include floods, tornadoes, or earthquakes. If you are unsure contact your local Red Cross chapter for more information.

I just emphasized the whole damn thing.

2. Pick a meeting place for your family to regroup in case zombies invade your home… or your town evacuates because of a hurricane. Pick one place right outside your home for sudden emergencies and one place outside of your neighborhood in case you are unable to return home right away.

emphasis mine

3. Identify your emergency contacts. Make a list of local contacts like the police, fire department, and your local zombie response team. Also identify an out-of-state contact that you can call during an emergency to let the rest of your family know you are ok.

emphasis mine

4. Plan your evacuation route. When zombies are hungry they won’t stop until they get food (i.e., brains), which means you need to get out of town fast! Plan where you would go and multiple routes you would take ahead of time so that the flesh eaters don’t have a chance! This is also helpful when natural disasters strike and you have to take shelter fast.

emphasis mine

If zombies did start roaming the streets, CDC would conduct an investigation much like any other disease outbreak. CDC would provide technical assistance to cities, states, or international partners dealing with a zombie infestation. This assistance might include consultation, lab testing and analysis, patient management and care, tracking of contacts, and infection control (including isolation and quarantine). It’s likely that an investigation of this scenario would seek to accomplish several goals: determine the cause of the illness, the source of the infection/virus/toxin, learn how it is transmitted and how readily it is spread, how to break the cycle of transmission and thus prevent further cases, and how patients can best be treated. Not only would scientists be working to identify the cause and cure of the zombie outbreak, but CDC and other federal agencies would send medical teams and first responders to help those in affected areas (I will be volunteering the young nameless disease detectives for the field work).

emphases mine

Have you begun preparing for a zombie apocalypse? Or maybe you have been preparing for a more realistic threat like hurricanes or the next flu season? Tell us about what you are doing to prepare!

emphasis mine

So... did you catch the relatively obvious "sub"text here?

Kris is absolutely, 100% right. The CDC is using a pop-culture phenomenon to actually help people become better prepared in case of an actual emergency. It's pretty smart on the part of the CDC, actually. I know I would have paid a hell of a lot more attention to those safety lectures in grade school had they been talking about zombie outbreaks, vampire attacks, or werewolf attacks instead of real things.

In fact, I've seriously considered writing the CDC and telling them that maybe they need to take it to schools. I wonder how understanding of safety awareness would change if they utilized pop-culture phenomena in this way? Hell... release a realistic documentary. What would a zombie outbreak actually look like in real life, what would be its actual explanation, and how would we actually deal with it?

Although, I should point out that it's a rather sad fact of our current social climate that "the masses" would pay more attention to a lecture about how best to deal with a zombie outbreak as opposed to a real-life outbreak like the flu, or a flood.

As far as medicines... oh come on. Please don't be one of those Storm types. I'm begging you.

You and I both know they were talking about all medicines, not just frickin' Prozac. They were also talking about aspirin, advil, Tylenol, Allegra, Claritin, Excedrin, DayQuil, NyQuil, Pepto Bismol, and whatever else a person might take to ease allergies, pains, stomach issues, and so on. These are rather important things to keep on your person when you deal with long-term issues. I deal with a huge amount of environmental allergies, mainly hay fever (in short, I'm allergic to anything and everything that can effect the sinuses and set off the histamines). I pretty much cannot survive a day without an Allegra-D... in fact, without it, I will spend all day in my bed surrounded by tissue boxes, chicken soup (with Matzoh Balls... specifically the one made by Tabachnick... SO GOOD! [unless my mom makes some... that's the best]), and rapidly-filling garbage cans.

And finally... about your third point...

Good luck battling the zombie hoards. I'm pretty sure in the case of zombies or, say, a sudden release of wild, rabid, dogs, the best thing to do is stay the hell away and let the professionals take care of them. There's a reason we have professionals... they know what the hell they're doing.

Book recommendation:

World War Z by Max Brooks. (Mel's son) it reads like, "hey! This could happen!"
Major movie in 2012 starring Brad Pitt...

He also wrote the Zombie survival guide.

RSS

Atheist Sites

Blog Posts

Rounding Up?

Posted by Carol Foley on November 20, 2014 at 3:17am 2 Comments

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service