Good day fellow atheists!

My question to you today: What was the final moment, action or realization that made you completely confident in your deconversion. In other words, what pushed you from agnostic (or belief, if it was sudden for you) to atheist.

For me it was a realization in philosophy class while we were studying philosophy of religion. Seeing how the arguments against god seemed much more logical and sound pushed me into a complete confidence. Since then I have been doing research to further my understanding of atheism and religion.

Tags: Deconversion, agnostic, atheism, former, theist

Views: 932

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Reading the bible made me Agnostic but it was a long while after before I became an Atheist. (While Agnostic I still faked it for my mothers happiness)

I have been an atheist for so long that I'm not sure. However, the last straw before I finally said screw this and came out as an atheist was when my sister was going on and on one day about how she was praying to God every day that he finally sends her the man of her dreams. My annoyance had reached a level so high that without realizing it I had blurted out "Holy shit, if you spent less time praying to some stupid sky wizard and more time getting off your ass and meeting people then you would have been married like 30 years ago". I didn't realized I said it till I heard her gasping next to me. Ohhhhhhh, it was magical.

Hahaha, yeah I've been close to those moments too. I have managed to hold my tongue so far but this moment will come for me too! XD

How did your sister take the news?

For me, I'd been raised christian (Presbyterian), so I had no reason to not be christian because I didn't know anything else.  The seeds of disbelief began to be planted in 6th grade when we were learning about ancient greek and roman gods and how they were created as a way to explain the unexplained.  This started me thinking and wondering what made Christianity any different.  I stuck with Christianity in the end, but gradually grew out of it just like i'd grown out of believing in Santa.  

After I graduated high school I went to England and spent a 5th year at a boarding school out there.  I experienced for the first time a christianity other than that I'd grown up with.  Church had always been a place of good people, love, learning morality, and having a personal relationship with god and jesus.  The church services I attended in England were more similar to catholisism in the way that the services were very ritualistic and traditional.  I absolutely hated that aspect to the service and it made it all feel incredibly fake and pointless to me.  

It also finally hit home that Christianity was only as good as how people interpret it...so my church at home had been great not because of anything to do with the bible, but instead because of the people.  Every place I went, there was a different version of christianity, and with so many versions, it couldn't be anything true, instead it was just human interpretations.  If you strip away all the aspects that make church religious, you are left with either nothing, or in the case of a genuinely good church, people learning to be better people and loving each other; all things that can be done, and can be done better, without religion.

As i said before, about growing out of religion, it was somehting that became common sense as I matured, became more educated, and left fantasies behind.  I have zero patience now for religion as I can't help seeing religious people as childish and in denial of the truth.

While attending Catholic elementary school, I got a steaming heap of Jesus served up on a daily basis. I quickly realized that the story being pushed was less coherent than my comic books, and not nearly as cool as the gods in Bullfinch's Mythology, or in my beaten-up copy of Deities & Demigods. It got me thinking, and I was a geeky kid that also liked science. I didn't have a defining moment, but it became clear pretty quickly that claims with evidence to back them up had alot more credibility than claims that were clearly fantasy. Unconvincing, poorly planned & inconsistent fantasies at that. I was a solidly self-identified atheist in the middle of redneck land before 7th grade.

After living out of my truck for six months in one of the toughest cities in the country, I took a long look at myself and everything I had accomplished with my hard work, blood, sweat, and tears and I realized I had done it all on my own and I was not going to give any fucking credit to a piece of shit god that was leaving countless of others suffering in those streets. 

I had been reading Carlos Castaneda and I was learning to look into myself for power and wisdom and that is exactly where I had found it. Funny story that goes with that... In one of Castaneda's books some Fundie pasted a Christian message on the first page of the book calling it a lie and words from the devil sent to turn us away from Christ. I laughed and complained to the Librarian.

Which website is that?

XD

I had been a non-believer for almost 5 years but could never let the words escape my mouth until about 2 months ago. I had fallen away from the Church (Catholic, the real bad one) in college and once I was out I realized that there was no God, but it would be best to hold my tongue since my family all thought that I had just quit going to church, that my faith was just a little wounded. I started reading Penn Jillete's "God, NO!" and while I was just looking for something comical to read, it made me realize that there is no shame in not believing in god. I had been afraid of what my family would think when I said out loud "I don't believe", and people are constantly praying for your faith, like you are somehow sick?

Now that I have taken a step back to appreciate the wonder that is all around us at all times, I'm not afraid to say proudly that there is no god, but I'm gonna be just fine!

Prior to my profound experience that I am about to share, I was already most comfortable with the term "atheist" but still struggled with defending myself against religious bullying.  Pregnant with my third child, I was determined to manifest a painless birth experience.  My prenatal journey began with a hypnosis session where my sub-conscious mind was given an opportunity to view labor and birth differently.  The unasssisted home birth of my son was not only painless, it was orgasmic!  Not a whisper of physical discomfort accompanied the descent of this sacred child.  My manifestation of the perfect birth defied God's curse against women that we shall know pain and complication in child-birth all the days of their lives...I am eternally grateful that I am not bound by that vicious scene at the garden, all on account of some little apple! 

I could never understand how people could believe the story of Adam and Eve and the apple etc. Especially over the theory of evolution.

Still Catholic, actually

/pretty pointless comment. But.

RSS

Blog Posts

People

Posted by ɐuɐz ǝllǝıuɐp on July 28, 2014 at 10:27pm 0 Comments

Services we love

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by Dan.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service