What's your favourite atheist (secular/science) quote?

There are lots of inspiring ones out there. Lots of well known ones too.

My favourite is one that has come to mean a lot to me recently, taken from Dawkins' brilliant 'River Out of Eden':

"The universe we observe has precisely the properties we should expect if there is, at bottom, no design, no purpose, no evil and no good, nothing but blind pitiless indifference."- Richard Dawkins

Views: 1249

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

"Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. I am not afraid."

- Marcus Aurelius

I have two.

"Isn't it enough to see that the garden is beautiful, without having to believe that there are faeries at the bottom of it too?" ~Douglas Adams.

“Be thankful that you have a life, and forsake your vain and presumptuous desire for a second one.”
~ Richard Dawkins

I've got an interesting one. A lot of atheistic arguments revolving around "evidence" sometimes involve the notion of "The Scientific Method."

Well, here's a riddle for you, the father of the modern scientific method once said,

"It is true, that a little philosophy inclineth man's mind to atheism, but depth in philosophy bringeth men's minds about to God."

Go figure.

Another quote that I believe sort of goes along the same lines.

"If you can't believe in God, chances are your God is too small." - James Phillips

These are amongst my favorites for the fact that they can offer a different perspective as they're obviously quite astray from the quotes being posted thus far.

That's the kind of shit they tell you when they want you to kill your fellow man for them, after all we have the BIGGEST god. If you think the throngs of believers are deep philosophers then we must live on different planets !

I've never really related it to the "throng of believers." Notice he said "back to God," meaning that they were returning from a period of atheism. Some famous examples I've come across are Jack Kerouac, Allen Ginsberg, and Richard Alpert. All deep philosophers whose constant pondering did not lead them to arrive to the "atheistic conclusion." 

Notice he said "back to God,"

Who said, "back to God"?  It is not in either of your quotes.

Francis Bacon. The depth in philosophy is where you arrive at after you've had a little. He didn't say it verbatim, but it's something you can infer. I've seen variations of the quote where people have used "back to," but I'm not sure which is the original.

“A little philosophy inclineth man’s mind to atheism; but depth in philosophy bringeth men’s minds about to religion. For while the mind of man looketh upon second causes scattered, it may sometimes rest in them, and go no further; but when it beholdeth the chain of them, confederate and linked together, it must needs fly to Providence and Deity.”

There's your full quote, from the essays of Francis Bacon.  No inference required :)

Well, there you go. I inferred through the quote, but you needn't to infer when you have the passage, because he states it quite clearly.

From the passage, it seems as though Bacon is making an extrapolation. Although, as I'm sure you know, I'd wonder if Richard Bucke's suspicion is true, if Bacon had undergone the so-called "Cosmic Consciousness" experience that he wrote about.

Mushrooms and Bacon?

Haha! Funny. Sounds like it would make a good hamburger, but that's not wasn't what I was referring to.

In the same vein that Alan Watts spoke about the "natural satori," I believe that Bucke attributed it to a natural phenomenon, but I don't think he was sure of the exact chemical mechanism behind it. Things like DMT and psilocybin didn't appear in western civilization until years after his death, so there's no way he could have been aware of the psychoactive effects of psilocybin-containing mushrooms.

RSS

© 2021   Created by Rebel.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service