What's your favourite atheist (secular/science) quote?

There are lots of inspiring ones out there. Lots of well known ones too.

My favourite is one that has come to mean a lot to me recently, taken from Dawkins' brilliant 'River Out of Eden':

"The universe we observe has precisely the properties we should expect if there is, at bottom, no design, no purpose, no evil and no good, nothing but blind pitiless indifference."- Richard Dawkins

Views: 1216

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

An atheist at a funeral All dressed up and no place to go!

An christian at a funeral, All dressed up and ________________________

________________________________________________________........

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence,

Carl Sagan.

Faith is the worse curse of mankind, as the exact antithesis and enemy of thought. - Ayn Rand

"I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours."
-- Steven H. Roberts --

"If religion were true, its followers would not try to bludgeon their young into an artificial conformity; but would merely insist on their unbending quest for truth, irrespective of artificial backgrounds or practical consequences."
-- H. P. Lovecraft --

Interestingly, last week Pope Francis mentioned atheists yet again. He said that atheists should be seen as good people as long as they do good, in a move to urge people of all religions - or no religion at all - to get along.

Equally interesting, you may remember the story that made headlines in December of last year about a Muslim couple who were refused service at a Louisiana Subway restaurant. Recently, Congressman John Fleming (R-LA) introduced Amendment 35 to H.R. 2397-- a discriminatory amendment that would "Prevent funds from being used to appoint chaplains without an endorsing agency." Aimed at Humanists and other nontheists, the amendment would impact the 23% of the military that does not identify with any religion. Congressman Fleming is the owner of that restaurant, as well as 32 others in that state.

"Blessed are the seriously phucked up, for they shall be elected to government office."

"Atheists Make the Best Christians"

Me

“The only position that leaves me with no cognitive dissonance is atheism. It is not a creed. Death is certain, replacing both the siren-song of Paradise and the dread of Hell. Life on this earth, with all its mystery and beauty and pain, is then to be lived far more intensely: we stumble and get up, we are sad, confident, insecure, feel loneliness and joy and love. There is nothing more; but I want nothing more.”

― Ayaan Hirsi Ali, Infidel

"The existentialist... thinks it very distressing that God does not exist, because all possibility of finding values in a heaven of ideas disappears along with Him; there can no longer be an a priori Good, since there is no infinite and perfect consciousness to think it. Nowhere is it written that the Good exists, that we must be honest, that we must not lie; because the fact is we are on a plane where there are only men. Dostoievsky said, "If God didn’t exist, everything would be possible." That is the very starting point of existentialism. Indeed, everything is permissible if God does not exist, and as a result man is forlorn, because neither within him nor without does he find anything to cling to. He can’t start making excuses for himself."
(Jean-Paul Sartre / 1905-1980 / Existentialism and Humanism /1945)

Many more savory Sartre quotes on atheism here.

I am fairly old, so it's hard to piece things that happened in my youth together, but I'm fairly sure that Sartre played a huge role along with Bertrand Russell in terms of forming my atheism. I'm more sure that Sartre played a role in my view that all ethics, absent God, is attitudinal, not factual.

RSS

© 2019   Created by Rebel.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service