What's your favourite atheist (secular/science) quote?

There are lots of inspiring ones out there. Lots of well known ones too.

My favourite is one that has come to mean a lot to me recently, taken from Dawkins' brilliant 'River Out of Eden':

"The universe we observe has precisely the properties we should expect if there is, at bottom, no design, no purpose, no evil and no good, nothing but blind pitiless indifference."- Richard Dawkins

Views: 951

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” - Carl Sagan

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves and wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell

Lord Russell is the guy who made me an atheist with his collection of essays, Why I Am Not A Christian. A very good read.

"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful" - Seneca

"I regard the brain as a computer which will stop working when its components fail. There is no heaven or afterlife for broken down computers; that is a fairy story for people afraid of the dark." ~ Stephen Hawking

Well they aren't atheist quotes per se, but the words hanging above my desk at the job I just left have some kind of philosophical meaning for me:  (I need to go back and get it)

To be is to do.  - Socrates

To do is to be - Sartre

Do be do be do. - Sinatra

xD Awesome!

“Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest.”
- Denis Diderot, French philosopher, man of letters, (1713-1784)

There are too many good ones to pick a single favorite, but here is one that I enjoyed.

"I'm sorry, but that's completely ridiculous!  How can I possibly prove it doesn't exist?  I mean you could claim that anything's real if the only basis for believing in it is that nobody's proved it doesn't exist."  ~ Hermione Granger

“After coming into contact with a religious man I always feel I must wash my hands.”

-Friedrich Nietzsche

Just for fun:

“Atheism is a non-prophet organization.” 

-George Carlin

I find the Nietzsche quote quite endearing(?), considering his father and grandfathers were all protestant priest and his sister, his favorite person, was quite religious too.

by ascribing it to his gods... When, therefore, he ascribes to his gods the production of some phenomenon... does he, in fact, do any thing more than substitute for the darkness of his own mind, a sound to which he has been accustomed to listen with reverential awe?

Baron de Holbach,

RSS

Forum

In Defense of ‘Islamophobia’

Started by Brian Daurelle in Society. Last reply by Davis Goodman 43 seconds ago. 53 Replies

Sunday Disassembly

Started by Reg The Fronkey Farmer in Society. Last reply by Unseen 1 hour ago. 12 Replies

Awe struck

Started by Davis Goodman in Small Talk. Last reply by Unseen 15 hours ago. 40 Replies

where when how who why ?

Started by aubrey knows nothing * in Small Talk. Last reply by Davis Goodman 15 hours ago. 5 Replies

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service