I'm not sure why a 5 year old would want it, but have you heard about this ruling?

A federal judge ruled Friday that the morning-after pill, known by its brand name of Plan B, should be available without a prescription or any age or point-of-sale restrictions within 30 days. (source)

With the drug having become available over the counter, the judge ruled that the FDA had overstepped it's mandate, which had only to do with determining the safety of drugs. They have no mandate to set age limits or set standards for the sale of safe drugs.

Anyway, the question here is directed at the parents among us, and especially those with children at or approaching an age when sexual activity potentially begins. Do you have any mixed feelings about this? Do you feel that up to a certain age (16? 18?) children should at least have to see a physician before obtaining them? Not to talk them out of abortion but at least to discuss the medical issues (potential exposure to STD's, side effects, etc.).

Please identify yourself as a non-parent when you comment, if that is the case.

Tags: after, birth, contraception, control, morning, pill

Views: 623

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

See, there you go.  Taking your argument to the extreme and holding up an extreme example to advance it.  I'm not even going to speculate on why you mentioned condoms not being ingested.  The plan b is not the first line of defense in unwanted pregnancy.  You would do better to be advocating for more indepth sex-ed.  Young girls misuse all kinds of stuff, along with everyone else.  Education is the key, not prohibition.  And comparing taking regular birth control pills with a single pill in case of an accident or poor judgement is not way to advance your argument either.  I read a few of your posts on the thread with the islam girl and battling with Korsan..you might do well to remove some emotion from your thoughts.  It seems to cloud your sense of reason. 

Ok so I don't even think you know what part of your argument I was disagreeing with you about so with that lets just agree that education is the primary key.  . 

Parent: I have open, relaxed conversations with both my children about sex. I knew who the first girl was that my son kissed, the first time he thought of sleeping with someone ect. As parents we are the ones that need to educate our children, dope is illegal but how many young children us it. And children have sex, in SA it is not strange to see girls as young as 11 pregnant. You can not buy a car on your own name before you are 21 but age 11 you can go to court and sign off on your baby for adoption without parental consent. We live in a world full of things that can have a negative impact on our children, I keep my communication open so that they can come to me and feel comfortable in doing so. Both my children know about STD, pregnancy ect. My 15 year old daughter just did a speach at school about pregnancy and the 3 choises you have to make and the impact of those. She went to the shop and drew up a monthly budget of what it would cost to take care of a baby, plus a day mother ect. She ended with this. If you are old enough to be sexualy active you have to ask yourself are you ready to take the responsability that goes with it. She also aded HIV figures of girls under 18.

Another pat me on the head post. Okay, you're a good parent, but what about other children out there who aren't lucky enough to have Jorita as a parent?

Unseen, Jorita is in South Africa, so she is commenting largely from that standpoint.  I'm used to your 'devils advocate' position, but Jorita is letting us know her thoughts from her culture's standpoint.

Most of the posters here are American.  The law you are discussing is an American one. Do you only want American opinions?  Oh and I am a non-parent, thanks to the invention of contraception and its free availability to me when I was young and trying to get rid of my lesbian tendencies by having sex with guys.

In the UK we try to get as many contraceptives as we can, out to as many people as we can.  If you're having sex, you're up to getting post-sex pills.  If you're planning to have regular sex, you can get the contraceptive pill free, without your parents knowing. Education about contraception is taught in schools, and by some parents - the rest learn from their mates.

If contraceptives had been harder to acquire, perhaps I would be addressing you as a parent, but thankfully I'm not.

South Africa? In these parts SA means South America!

Being a parent changes one's attitudes on some things. One feels a custodial concern for one's charges. Also, under the law you are responsible for them and for what they do. The kids don't like to hear that, but I found it to be a conversation stopper when my daughter wanted to try her wings a bit earlier on than I felt she was ready for. 

Being a parent changes one's attitudes on some things

No, being a responsible parent changes one's attitudes on some things. 

Also, you say stopped your daughter trying her wings too early.  Do you think you would not have been able to do this if the 'morning after' pill had been easily available over the counter?  Were you depending on her fear of pregnancy?. 

If the 'morning after' pill had been legally available over the counter, I believe you would have had exactly the same effect on your daughter as you did without its accessibility. 

[edited to add that "these parts" is the internet]

RE: "South Africa? In these parts SA means South America!" - I suspect that depends on which hemisphere you live in.

Yes I did not think that you would also have the SA thing but yes for me that would be South Africa

Every once in a while an Aussie will write "WA" and a lot of us think that's Washington State (the postal abbreviation for which is WA) when in fact it's Western Australia.  Rather different places!  The Canadian and US postal services, at least, made sure none of the abbreviations overlap between the two countries.  (This was a challenge for Manitoba, only one of the possible two letter abbreviations for Manitoba wasn't in use for a US state (MB), any other letter for the second letter would conflict with Massachusetts, Minnesota, Michigan, Montana or Missouri.  We've got a lot of M states here.)

In the US, there are too many M states, just as there are too many A continents.

So, like the US, Aussies divide their country/continent up into compass halves and quarters (S, N, E, W, SE, SW, NE, NW)? In the US there's a little confusion as to where one defines the border between E and W. Is it the Mississippi River or is it the Rocky Mts? One hears both "East of the Rockies" and "West of the Mississippi" used as though they are meaningful dividing lines. Are there such geographical boundaries in common parlance over there in Aussieland?

RSS

Blog Posts

People

Posted by ɐuɐz ǝllǝıuɐp on July 28, 2014 at 10:27pm 4 Comments

Services we love

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by Dan.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service