I'm not sure why a 5 year old would want it, but have you heard about this ruling?

A federal judge ruled Friday that the morning-after pill, known by its brand name of Plan B, should be available without a prescription or any age or point-of-sale restrictions within 30 days. (source)

With the drug having become available over the counter, the judge ruled that the FDA had overstepped it's mandate, which had only to do with determining the safety of drugs. They have no mandate to set age limits or set standards for the sale of safe drugs.

Anyway, the question here is directed at the parents among us, and especially those with children at or approaching an age when sexual activity potentially begins. Do you have any mixed feelings about this? Do you feel that up to a certain age (16? 18?) children should at least have to see a physician before obtaining them? Not to talk them out of abortion but at least to discuss the medical issues (potential exposure to STD's, side effects, etc.).

Please identify yourself as a non-parent when you comment, if that is the case.

Tags: after, birth, contraception, control, morning, pill

Views: 627

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

A non-parent? It' an opportunity to remind the child (not a mature adult) that unprotected sex exposes her to more than just pregnancy. I don't think there's any doubt that some STD exposures could be prevented that way.

You will do more damage overdosing on asprin, cough medicine,benedryl and the like.

This question is about politics and someone's personal morality and nothing more.

Where does the concerned parent fit in that summary?

Answer, he/she doesn't.

If a child needs the morning after pill it means this child is already sexualy active. It is up to the parents to educate their children , on all these things. If you tell achild he can not eat asprin like sweats, you have to explain why, you can not just say "because I say so" Alcohol drugs, sex all work the same way. If more parents were openly involed in communication with their children a lot of the problems would not be the way it is today.

Agreed. And then we have the rest to deal with somehow. Or do we just write them off?

One of the major problems I have in our country is that in the subject lifeskills they have to discuss the above with the children then age 12 and 13 , at my sons then school that part got cut out of the book with scissors as the teacher did not feal comfortable discussing it with the children. This is enough to make a persons blood boil, if not get a speaker around to the school that can then have a talk with the children, but educate, put your personal feelings aside and Educate our children that is what schools and teachers are there for.

RE: "that part got cut out of the book with scissors" - that teacher should have been fired, instantly, but it's hard to believe he or she would have taken that upon him/herself without approval from above, so the ladder should have been climbed, firing all the way up to the top.

The teacher was the headmasters cousin. And it was done with the permision of the schools governing body as the parents felt their children at age 12 was to young for this tipe of education and that it would promote sexual behaviour. The same governing body that allows the school to be used for  pentecostal church services on Sundays

You can thankfully blame this on the bass-ackwards way the church has influence on western culture.  You can also blame this on the way islam has cultural influence on the middle east.

YES YES YES, and what are we left with ignorant children and then they want to blame the "evil" of the world and the lack of religion for the cause of the problem

children should at least have to see a physician before obtaining them?

Any pharmacist in Australia would bring up all the relevant points before selling a morning-after pill to anyone, especially minors. I see no reason to force a child to go to a doctor to have this discussion. Maybe it is different in the US, but I can't even buy products with codeine without being asked why I am getting it.

You can't get codeine-type drugs in the US without a prescription from a doctor or dentist. Is it different in Australia? In my area (can't speak for elsewhere), they will OFFER to have a pharmacist explain proper use, side-effects, and other cautions to you, but most people decline and I'm fairly sure a 14 year old girl would. However, when you receive the drug it comes with a lengthy (to the point of deterring one from reading it) set of instructions and cautions.

RSS

Atheist Sites

Forum

What is the Destiny of Intelligence?

Started by Roy Plisko in Philosophy. Last reply by Davis Goodman 2 hours ago. 62 Replies

conspiracy theories

Started by Seth Richardson in Small Talk. Last reply by Unseen 9 hours ago. 20 Replies

Criticize the ideology, not the person?

Started by Erock68la in Small Talk. Last reply by Erock68la 10 hours ago. 28 Replies

6 YEARS!

Started by Dan in Announcements. Last reply by Pope Beanie 14 hours ago. 6 Replies

The Movie Kiss: Romance or Rape?

Started by Unseen in Society. Last reply by Pope Beanie 15 hours ago. 12 Replies

Blog Posts

Rounding Up?

Posted by Carol Foley on November 20, 2014 at 3:17am 2 Comments

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service