I'm not sure why a 5 year old would want it, but have you heard about this ruling?

A federal judge ruled Friday that the morning-after pill, known by its brand name of Plan B, should be available without a prescription or any age or point-of-sale restrictions within 30 days. (source)

With the drug having become available over the counter, the judge ruled that the FDA had overstepped it's mandate, which had only to do with determining the safety of drugs. They have no mandate to set age limits or set standards for the sale of safe drugs.

Anyway, the question here is directed at the parents among us, and especially those with children at or approaching an age when sexual activity potentially begins. Do you have any mixed feelings about this? Do you feel that up to a certain age (16? 18?) children should at least have to see a physician before obtaining them? Not to talk them out of abortion but at least to discuss the medical issues (potential exposure to STD's, side effects, etc.).

Please identify yourself as a non-parent when you comment, if that is the case.

Tags: after, birth, contraception, control, morning, pill

Views: 622

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Gregg, that's one of the best perks to being rich and famous. Whatever the king of pop wanted, the king of pop got. Oh, but then he died.

@RobertPiano - ah but will he ever die?  They say Elvis is out there somewhere still...

LOL Elvis should have made the words " I'll be back" famous

i think that the parent should know the child is purchasing the pill. because it could be used to cover up a rape with that pill adn that it is just fucking crazy 

Better to uncover a rape through an unwanted pregnancy?

The reality of being a parent is that their is a lot of things out their legal and not so legal. We don;t want our children to smoke but some of them do, we don.t want them to drink but they do. I had friends at school that got pregnant, if only their was a morning after pill, some gave their children up for adoption, some kept them and others had abortions. Every single one of them did not talk about sex to their parents, 3 of the friends used condoms but they ripped. We did not have legal abortions as it is only a new law that allows it so my one friend lost half of the inside of her legg her uterus and scared for life because of a back street abortion at age 14 I just can not help but wonder what difference the morning after pill would have made to her life. I know that no matter how hard you want to protect your children shit happens

As a parent I accept my responsibility for the health and safety of my offspring, I do not need a Nanny State to meet that responsibility, nor to decide what risks to take in the pursuit of my own health, safety and happiness and that of those I brought into this world.

I am disgusted by the lack of backbone that exists today in the majority of Americans that occupy this country today, they pale in comparison to those who founded it.

Government can be of benefit to us or it can be a great burden to our freedom, liberty and our own unalienable right to self determination

................................................................................

If there is a parent out there who allows his/her 5 year old child to decide which OTC products to buy.........I have my doubts as to whether that child will live to see 6 years of age.

Parenting is the toughest job in the world, the best we can hope for is to be the best we can be, knowing we will fall short of perfect.

I think responsible, effective parenting would do so - in that the parents would talk to their child/daughter about such issues responsibly. 

As the rule goes, if you refuse to talk about something to your child, or simply dismiss it in a negative light by telling them, "you can't do that," then naturally they will want to because by your very direction you have made it taboo.  So, yes, as a parent - if I had a daughter (which I don't, I have three sons) - I would discuss it with her and have her see a physician for more information, and in fact I wouldn't but I would encourage and make sure that my wife did considering it would be more comfortable as a woman-to-woman discussion. 

As for my boys, discussing sex is already on the board for future talk.  In fact, my six year old son already asked questions about sexual orientation in response to the news about the US Supreme Court taken up the issue of same-sex marriage. 

Besides, yes a five year old might be able to buy it, but so suggest the "moral and physical danger" of them actually doing so is entirely absurd.

A five year old boy ingensting a hormone pill intended for a mature woman involves no physical danger? That may be true, but how do you know that?

Would some procedure, allowing her the pill, but also requiring the girl to be reminded that unprotected sex doesn't just expose her to pregnancy but also to STD's be totally out of order?

"A five year old boy ingensting a hormone pill intended for a mature woman involves no physical danger? That may be true, but how do you know that?"

I never suggested such a thing.  You misread my remarks, and I would certainly never make such a dumb remark unless I was ill informed (which I am not).  My point is that sex is only a problem if it is treated as a taboo in the family - much like alcohol. 

If I had a daughter, which I do not, I would have my wife discuss things with her, and also have our physician discuss Plan B medication with her.  This way she understands the risks of both sex and Plan B.  But I don't have a daughter.  I have three boys, so what I meant in regards to this fact is that as with alcohol and/or drugs, participation in the activity of sex comes with consequences.  Children must understand the consequences of those activities, and if they choose to participate in such activities, be responsible about them.

In other words: sex education is important no matter the gender.  Plan B just provides a larger opportunity for the discussion to happen when it comes to female sexuality.  There is no need for the discussion to happen with boys unless there was a form of male contraception available outside of condoms. 

A five year old boy has no need for the meds, so discussing Plan B is a not even in the sphere of contextual need regarding conversations about sex. Discussing sex and the consequences such activity, however, is and too many parents avoid the topic altogether out of it being either uncomfortable or the delusional religious argument that sex is sinful.

All I was trying to do is put myself in the shoes of a parent with a daughter so that context of the discussion would not be lost.  However, I don't have daughters I have sons, and so I wanted to make the point that sex education for both boys and girls is of high importance for the parents to be actively involved in so that all children can make well informed and rational decisions about their bodies and their sexuality.

Sorry for any confusion, and I hope the above clears any confusion in what I am trying to say.

RE: "if you refuse to talk about something to your child, or simply dismiss it in a negative light by telling them, 'you can't do that,' then naturally they will want to because by your very direction you have made it taboo."

"Forbidden Fruit a flavor has
That lawful Orchards mock --"

-- Emily Dickenson --

I don't think there is any research that would support the premice that there is a direct relationship between a person's access to birth control, and the probability of them being sexually active. So, I don't see that access to the morning after pill will increase the spread of STDs.

RSS

Events

Blog Posts

Labels

Posted by Quincy Maxwell on July 20, 2014 at 9:37pm 24 Comments

Services we love

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by Dan.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service