I'm not sure why a 5 year old would want it, but have you heard about this ruling?

A federal judge ruled Friday that the morning-after pill, known by its brand name of Plan B, should be available without a prescription or any age or point-of-sale restrictions within 30 days. (source)

With the drug having become available over the counter, the judge ruled that the FDA had overstepped it's mandate, which had only to do with determining the safety of drugs. They have no mandate to set age limits or set standards for the sale of safe drugs.

Anyway, the question here is directed at the parents among us, and especially those with children at or approaching an age when sexual activity potentially begins. Do you have any mixed feelings about this? Do you feel that up to a certain age (16? 18?) children should at least have to see a physician before obtaining them? Not to talk them out of abortion but at least to discuss the medical issues (potential exposure to STD's, side effects, etc.).

Please identify yourself as a non-parent when you comment, if that is the case.

Tags: after, birth, contraception, control, morning, pill

Views: 640

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The border between New South Wales and Victoria is a river. Other than that, we have straight lines drawn in the sand.

South America? This is Madness! SA stands for South Australia!

And here I thought it was South Antarctica! That's gotta be about as far south as you can go --

RE: "Do you only want American opinions?" - no, he wants only opinions that agree with his own.

When I want your opinion, I'll give it to you.

That's incredible - it took you only ten hours to think that one up! Those meds must be working --

As a parent, I discussed the medical aqnd moral issues about sex from about age 5 when they started asking questions.

I don't know about other parents I decided to do everything the opposite from my own parents, My parents never talked to me about anything. I was 13 when I asked my mother what menstruation was as I heard the word mentioned in the girls changing room. My mother answered "don't act like a fucking idiot" that was the end of discussion. I phoned my dad and he send me a book in the mail "What girls should know." I decided that I will never let a child of mine feel the same as I did that day. We were crawling around the kitchen floor laughing two weeks ago because of a discussion on genital warts. Like most things in life if you want to educate children you have to start by educating the adults in the childs space. They should not just have sexual education for children but make it compulsary for parents, to teach them how to talk to their children about this. I have learned to keep my composure and not to over react when my children come to me in trust, and their is some things you don;t want to hear. I would like to imagine my children as innocent but they are not. If they can trust me with the small things without feeling that I am judging them, then they can trust me with the big things in their lives. Oh we also inflated some condoms rubbed it against our hair and stuck it to the kitchen sealing

That sounds pretty damned healthy to me! Sounds like you have things in perspective.

As a parent and citizen I am all for the elimination of most controls on pharmaceutical products.

I'm all for 100% legalizing all of the street drugs idiots use for their entertainment value.

Many would argue that drugs which modify one's endocrine system are medicine and should be treated that way.

Legalise and tax them.

RSS

Forum

How do you cure Insanity???

Started by Belle Rose in Advice. Last reply by Belle Rose 34 minutes ago. 64 Replies

Why do we tolerate this?

Started by Belle Rose in Crime and Punishment. Last reply by Reg The Fronkey Farmer 3 hours ago. 27 Replies

My Grandpa died last week

Started by Physeter in Small Talk. Last reply by Belle Rose 7 hours ago. 12 Replies

A relapse.....

Started by Belle Rose in Small Talk. Last reply by Unseen 11 hours ago. 7 Replies

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service