You are stuck on an island infested with dionsaurs... Pick one list of things you can have on the island.

This is more just for fun :] Which one would you pick?

I am going to pick B. Staying light equipment wise is important. And we all know if you had a rifle it is unlikely to help as we clearly saw The Game Warden of the park, Robert Muldoon get killed quite easily.

Just have fun with this one!

Tags: dinosaurs, island, of, survival

Views: 1522

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I have to disagree about stabbing. As long as a knife has a point, you can stab with it. The edge will dull rapidly (especially with concentrated use), but the edge has little to do with penetration. Penetration is more a function of the acuteness of the angle at the fore edge of the blade and even a blade with a dull edge but a very acute tip angle will penetrate quite nicely, though it'll be crap for slashing or slicing. But as long as there are a variety of rocks around, you should be able to keep a fairly good edge on a blade, though not necessarily a very pretty one as you would if you had a sharpening stone or some such.

The unfortunate thing about sharpening knifes on rocks is the side effect of finding out exactly how sharp it's possible to get it as you stab it through your own hand. ;)

In a situation described, your ability to use tools is what is most likely to kill you. You are your own worst enemy. A few days without sleep, cold, dehydration, physical exhaustion etc and you start having serious issues with hand-eye coordination in particular and consciousness in general.

It isn't a walk on the beach or something even remotely close to the most exhausted you have ever been. One of the largest dangers is actually falling asleep while walking and just veering off a cliff. It's unimaginable until you experience it for yourself.

or the knife blade will diminish over time.  5 years later , you may find yourself with a very small dagger.. 

It's a bare minimum. In cold weather training it's min 6 liters per day (with medium intensity physical pressure, typically 12-14 hours or around 4000 kcal/day) . I presume jungle training would be at least as much. You can't carry around 20l of water. No water container size is provided but for sake of argument let's assume 1l.

You aren't training; you are doing only as much as is necessary to survive, and it's not presently know how well you could conserve energy.  The factors defining dehydration haven't been outlined yet.  You would not be able to find enough food to sustain 12-14 hours of exertion a day, every day for three years, so I don't agree that 6L/day, jungle or not, for the entire span of three years is a reasonable assumption, but again, I used that quantity anyway.

I have no idea what your'e going on about with 20L vs. 1L.  Most purification pills I've seen deal with something around 1L of purified water per tablet.  I might have given a strange number before, but that's because I was quickly pulling data from a vendor website.  It was for an entire set of pills in the quantity sold.

Typically yes. Let's just agree to disagree, but in my experience from field training edged blades (knifes and bayonets) are only useful for stabbing after 3-4 days.

Why would you try to stab something with a hatchet?  Wait, what are you planning to stab at in this scenario at all?  That's not the point anyway.  A blade doesn't go from sharp to magically, utterly dysfunctional in three days.  Certainly it dulls, but that doesn't make it suddenly useless, especially considering that the blunt end of the hatchet is also useful.

As for the blade being sharp enough to cut you, your perspective is too skewed.  You've basically set it up so that the blade is too dull or too sharp regardless. 

Not too worry if your knife isn't too sharp to slice you in half (or if broken shards of scope glass don't leap up and gouge your eyeballs out); nature is plenty jagged, rough, prickly, pointed, and sharp enough as is. 

"Presumably one would use it in every situation that would require a rope, such as scaling sharp hills which wear quickly on ropes."

It actually doesn't, unless you've left it tethered to on fixed location for some time where it was repeatedly rubbing up against an abrasive surface.  Ten feet is not a suitable length for most such applications.

Would you use a climbing rope which had been used 150 times before..? 50 times? 10 times?

Yes, I would. I have been climbing for over fifteen years, so I don't need to speculate here.

I wouldn't as the wear would be substantial even after a few times.

Incorrect.  That would make it a brutally expensive sport.   Perhaps if you are taking falls at high fall factors on it, in which case I believe the common variation is from five to ten falls.  It's highly unlikely you would be doing that unless you were profoundly lacking in common sense.  

Assault rifles usually start misfiring at around 500 bullets fired. You would need gun oil, cleaning cloth, cleaning pin etc to ensure reliability.

Can't say I'd be firing anywhere close to that, but I'll concede the point on maintenance.  As I stated, I probably wouldn't bother with the rifle itself.  

We were given one at the first bivuac to proof exactly how unreliable they are after 2-3 days.

I haven't had an issue myself.  I've been able to start a fire reliably with fire steel even in damp conditions.  I know some people snap them, but I haven't had that issue before.

There will not be any hospitals around and you will be starving.

That's not the point.  You go on to speak as if it's inevitable that something is going to happen anyway, so the med kit as an mental enabler is irrelevant.  I wouldn't even be able to use it properly in a number of scenarios, so no, I'd never be banking on it to bail me out.

You about that. Presumably you have been left without the support of society for a few days which has granted you all this insight..?

Yes, I have, but it's unimportant.  Don't overestimate your contributions here.  The information you've put forward has little to do with actual survival experience.  Thus far, we've only entered the realm of things that are readily accessible knowledge whether experienced first hand or not.

That's not human psychology works, especially after 2-3 days without food of sleep. 

You've avoided the point altogether.  It's a question of using all assets available in the optimal manner.   There are huge chances that you are going to die in this scenario regardless, so simply pointing out that items also have downsides doesn't negate the fact that they have utility.  Assets have to be properly weighed, and frankly you aren't doing that; you are contriving scenarios that conform to your argument, in some cases beyond what facts will reasonably allow, even being lenient.  If you would like to submit a legitimate psychological paper outlining the phenomenon of which you are speaking, I will find some time to read it, but it still doesn't really address the issue.

One thing I'd bring, my ability to do this:

B but I'd rather have the machete instead of the knife

I suppose I'd go with C and make use of the rope and machete to construct a boat so I can get the frak off this hypothetical dinosaur infested island!  

BTW, it looks like 2 of the photos are from my favorite Hawaiian island, Kauai.  It's already infested with dinosaur descendants, namely wild chickens blown around by a hurricane.....

Damn a boat or a raft or something, why didn't I think of that? Dying of thirst at open sea is so much preferable over being eaten alive in soiled underwear by anachronistic creatures, without a grasp of the aristocracy of the modern food-chain.

Maybe perhaps indeed it's worth a shot to see if by becoming a creationist this will make 'em go vegetarian. But the downside might then be they'll cram up on your raft and fuck up all the long hours you put into it.

You're probably right - and my hastily constructed boat (really a raft) would be about as sea worthy as an anchor.  At least I'd have some reading material with the survival book.....

C for a couple of reasons.  1.  With the machete you could clear out a latrine area (no predators to sneak up on you unawares)   2. Read the SAS book and use the read pages to wipe your ass. ( Any water you drink will likely give you the trots, so clear your latrine area and read fast.)  3.  The rope you can fashion into a noose to hang yourself once you realize the futility of your situation...thanks to reading the book and shitting yourself silly for a week.

Ralph

I would say A, because it has the first aid kit, and safety and health are majorly important. However, if I were allowed to read through the book on list C, and it contained all that I needed it to, say, how to get water, start fires, eat the right things and how to heal yourself using found things, then I would choose C.

Presumably, mammals slightly less intelligent and adaptable than we humans survived for at least 3 years alongside the original dinosaurs, so I would have to give ourselves at least a fighting chance.  Plus, from the photos in the thread's header, it looks like possibly fresh-water lakes on this island?  And if the Jurassic Park guys didn't happen to clone any Plesiosaurs and such, then perhaps one could build a floating habitat out there on a lake, with access to plenty of fresh water and some protection from land-dwelling predators.  We don't know that T-Rex could swim, do we?

RSS

Atheist Sites

Forum

What is the Destiny of Intelligence?

Started by Roy Plisko in Philosophy. Last reply by Roy Plisko 1 minute ago. 73 Replies

The Movie Kiss: Romance or Rape?

Started by Unseen in Society. Last reply by Pope Beanie 31 minutes ago. 34 Replies

Criticize the ideology, not the person?

Started by Erock68la in Small Talk. Last reply by Reg The Fronkey Farmer 2 hours ago. 33 Replies

Why do we want to show people they are wrong?

Started by Haugurma in Small Talk. Last reply by CAPTAIN OBVIOUS 6 hours ago. 49 Replies

Blog Posts

Rounding Up?

Posted by Carol Foley on November 20, 2014 at 3:17am 2 Comments

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service