According to the passage in the book of Exodus I have just read as a part of my "Read the Bible" project I have discovered something shocking... God believed that the Gods and Goddesses of Ancient Egypt were REAL Gods!

-This of course, is further evidence against the authenticity of using the books of Moses for evidence for Monotheism-

Here's the passage from the NLT version of the Bible:

Exodus 12: 12 - On that night I will pass through the land of Egypt and strike down every firstborn son and firstborn male animal in the land of Egypt. I will execute judgement against all the gods of Egypt, for I am the Lord!

There you have it people, from the mouth of God comes the proclamation that definitively proves the idea of one-god a farce.

Tags: bible, egypt, exodus, god, monotheism, one, one-god, plagues, torah

Views: 13

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

WE don't cherry pick the Bible. That's why we're atheists. We've read the whole thing and determined it all to be utter crap. It's religious people who cherry pick. They HAVE to otherwise they'd have to justify the contradictions and laws now found to be abhorrent like forcing a rapist to buy his victim for 50 shekels or the wide variety of things that demand the death penalty like working on the Sabbath.
Will are you Christian? You listed your Religious Status as "Other" and I wondered what that means, but you seem very familiar with bible passages.

BTW... I don't cherry pick, I read entire passages, and given what was said in that passage, that was the only conclusion I could come to. The Egyptians worshiped "real" Gods. They were not simply idols. As Christians have images of the virgin Mary, so the Egyptians had images of Osiris and Anubis. They were not "Gods of Stone and Wood" they were Gods in the same category as the Greek and Norse Gods.

And another point to be made,
What would be the bloody point for God to exact his "judgement" on a bunch of statues? I find the very idea comical and idiotic.
God is a jealous god. You can't be jealous if you're the only competition. :D
The competitor could be a rock or a stick.
Well if God was jealous of inanimate objects then maybe all those idolaters were justified in choosing not to worship him.
You make a good point Lindsey. The word Jealous is used to mean something different then how we use it today. take a look....
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/jealous
Bible. intolerant of unfaithfulness or rivalry: The Lord is a jealous god

The Hebrew/original language backs this up as well.
http://www.blueletterbible.org/lang/lexicon/lexicon.cfm?Strongs=H70...

I would be up sit with my girl friend if she pick the rock over me. God would be the same with his own people.
People have done very wrong things in the name of God. Just because that is the claim they make dose not mean it is the truth. I could state that will kill a thousand babies in the name of strong genes, but that does not mean I have good reason to do it. Just because someone says that they are going to fight for the name of God dose not mean that God approves or that he will "hear" them.

and for Christians are reward is not in this world. We are told we are going to suffer.. just because one's struggles does not understand that does not mean that God got "his butt kicked"
Sorry, I didn't really sum it up. We call follow the wrong idea for the wrong reasons. We see that in history all the the time. The question is are we following what we believe for the right reasons. The reasons why someone believes in something shows if they should believe it or not. Sometimes the fact, evidence. and faith seem to be the right conclusion but through misrepresentation or own bias we decide to follow what we want with out good reason. This happens on both sides of the battle lines really. I think we both can agree. Some people are atheist because the don't want to believe in God and some people are theist because they do not want Evolution and/or atheism to be true. neither are good reasons. All should believe in something because they can defend it, not because the alternative is undesired.
All should believe in something because they can defend it, not because the alternative is undesired.

Come on now. Don't make me pull out my "Bullshit" stick like I did on David O'Connell.

Some people are atheist because the don't want to believe in God

Wrong. We're atheists because we take the position of the existence of certain things being highly improbable, with THE God just being one of them. We don't believe in any gods and all gods. Wanting has nothing to do with it. But you're right on some level. Some of us find the IDEA of God abhorrent and don't want to have anything to do with him IF he were real. We call these people anti-theist, and I happen to be one of them.
Non-Christians suffer in this world too. That's just the nature of reality. But Christians seem to derive some kind of pleasure out of the suffering based on this belief in a non-existent reward. I'll tell you right now. Catholic guilt almost ruined me. Is the reward the ONLY reason why you do good things? Do you help an old lady across the street or give to charity or NOT kill people out of fear from some theoretical afterlife? Or do you do them because you have an internal compass telling you what is good and what is bad?

just because one's struggles does not understand that does not mean that God got "his butt kicked"

God has no butt TO kick.

Just because someone says that they are going to fight for the name of God dose not mean that God approves or that he will "hear" them.

But you illustrate how dangerous religion is because it is disconnected from reality! When you derive your actions and beliefs and attitudes from the realm of the invisible, you lack a reality check! People do bad things in the name of God because they honestly believe this is what God wants! And these bad things are actually in the Bible! All you need for religion to cause harm in this world is to have a charismatic leader control a bunch of simpletons and have the right "interpretation" on what it is that God wants!
And your God is a stain glass window. What's your point?

You honestly think THE God came first? What about the Egyptian gods? Ra? Horus? Amun? Anubis? Or the Norse gods? Thor? Loki? Odin? Or the Hindu gods? Brahma? Vishnu? Shiva?

Are all the old gods of all the ancient civilizations just "sticks and rocks"? Or were they doing what people are doing now and using the sticks and rocks and statues as representations for their gods?
That's hillarious, God's so paranoid that he is afraid of being overtaken by inanimate objects? You just made my day! XD

RSS

Forum

where when how who why ?

Started by aubrey knows nothing * in Small Talk. Last reply by Karlee 22 minutes ago. 2 Replies

Awe struck

Started by Davis Goodman in Small Talk. Last reply by Cato Rigas 1 hour ago. 34 Replies

Blog Posts

coexist

Posted by aubrey knows nothing * on October 23, 2014 at 9:25pm 1 Comment

A Life-Changing Confrontation

Posted by Belle Rose on October 23, 2014 at 2:55am 7 Comments

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service