A family member posted this on Facebook; I feel the urge to comment, but feel at a loss on what to say.

I feel like making a comment about "look me up when Dungeons and Dragons becomes real life" or "keeping fellowship with a bunch of deluded people might make you deluded too."

Any thoughts?

+++++ ----- +++++ ----- +++++ ----- +++++

Would You Try to Do This ALONE?
06/13/2009 - by John Eldridge

You awake to find yourself in the midst of a great and terrible war. It is, in fact, our most desperate hour. Your King and dearest Friend calls you forth. Awake, come fully alive, your good heart set free and blazing for him and for those yet to be rescued. You have a glory that is needed. You are given a quest, a mission that will take you deep into the heart of the kingdom of darkness, to break down gates of bronze and cut through bars of iron so that your people might be set free from their bleak prisons. He asks that you heal them. Of course, you will face many dangers; you will be hunted.

Would you try and do this alone?

Something stronger than fate has chosen you. Evil will hunt you. And so a fellowship must protect you. Honestly, though he is a very brave and true hobbit, Frodo hasn’t a chance without Sam, Merry, Pippin, Gandalf, Aragorn, Legolas, and Gimli. He has no real idea what dangers and trials lie ahead. The dark mines of Moria; the Balrog that awaits him there; the evil orcs called the Urak-hai that will hunt him; the wastes of the Emyn Muil. He will need his friends. And you will need yours. You must cling to those you have; you must search wide and far for those you do not yet have. You must not go alone. From the beginning, right there in Eden, the Enemy’s strategy has relied upon a simple aim: divide and conquer. Get them isolated, and take them out.

(Waking the Dead , 186–87)

Tags: Dungeons-and-Dragons, lord-of-the-rings, response, retort

Views: 7

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hell yeah, I would do it alone. Some help would be nice but they need me & time cannot be wasted on prayer for a plan that is predetermined.
Dude.. if you wake up and your closest companions are elves, dwarfs and fellow hobbits, I think you have more problems than prayer can solve.
Thanks Nelson. That gives me some good thoughts to respond with.

He actually pasted this from a "favorite blog" he follows, so he is not the author.
And Nelson knocks it out of the park again. :)
Bravo @ Nelson
I was thinking along the same lines as Nelson. This proposes that your only options are alone or with god. Yet life itself is a journey and you will inevitably face hardships. Yet for many of us, our support comes from those around us. Our friends and family are there for us in our time of need. So why not seek Earthly help along the journey. He references TLOTR and how Frodo couldn't do it alone. And he didn't . He had help, but not from a god. He had an entire supporting cast, but none of them were divine. So I would take the unmentioned option, unless I were forced to select between the two. In that case, I'd go it alone and do my best as always.
This post seems to be a great encouragement to get oneself some friends and a community, but it says nothing about religion, God, or church.

So on that note I'd say, "No one should go it alone, and that's what humanity is all about."
"the Enemy’s strategy has relied upon a simple aim: divide and conquer."

You know, considering the tendency for religions to splinter, fragment, and split into different (and often mutually hostile) sects, wouldn't religion be 'the Enemy'?

RSS

Forum

Awe struck

Started by Davis Goodman in Small Talk. Last reply by Reg The Fronkey Farmer 52 minutes ago. 39 Replies

I don't know what to say

Started by Belle Rose in Atheist Parenting. Last reply by Ward Cressin 2 hours ago. 2 Replies

where when how who why ?

Started by aubrey knows nothing * in Small Talk. Last reply by Ward Cressin 2 hours ago. 4 Replies

Blog Posts

coexist

Posted by aubrey knows nothing * on October 23, 2014 at 9:25pm 1 Comment

A Life-Changing Confrontation

Posted by Belle Rose on October 23, 2014 at 2:55am 8 Comments

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service