Would you publish a work similar in scope to Salman Rushdie's "Satanic Verses?"

If your vocation was a writer/novelist and you believed there was a need to expose the tyranny that is the religion of Islam, would you consider the potential threat to your well being worth the risk of publication? Rushdie and Ayaan Hirsi (Infidel) both took considerable risk of life by going forward with their books. Granted other authors such as Dawkins, Harris, and Hitchens have attacked Islam in a similar manner but their's are limited to specific chapters of a book that attacks religion in general. 

Is the cause so compelling that one is willing to risk life and limb? Or should we retreat from the barbarism of Islamic extremists who feel compelled to carry out the fatwa that the Ayatollah Khomeini ordered against Rushdie? The very quality of religious violence that pervades Islamic culture also seems to be a hangman's noose around the neck of those bold enough to call it into question. As an atheist I refuse to accept the preposterous notions of all religions but I view Islam as an especially dangerous variety to the peace and security of our planet. Should we not step up the rhetoric against Islam and expose this religion for what it is? Or remain subdued in our criticism in fear of reprisal? For certain your life is forever changed should you decide to go forward with publication. 

Tags: Hirsi, Islam, Rushdie, fatwa

Views: 246

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Why I am Not A Christian by Bertrand Russell

is a fantastic experience!

Cant recommend this book enough!

Yes and the wellbeing of the vulnerable like children.

Yes.

No.

Not sure ,because I'm not sure exposing it for what it is, is why I'd do it though, I would need to clarify what you mean by what it is...

To  the final question no I'm probably fairly safe from reprisal where I live if done tactfully, however I don't think everyone is the criticism fear and reprisal factor probably changes geographically for the writer.

"All that is required for evil to flourish, is for good men to do nothing."
-- Edmund Burke --

RSS

Atheist Sites

Forum

Parents: help?

Started by Lee in Advice. Last reply by Lee 1 hour ago. 7 Replies

An atheist book for children?

Started by Leonard Deke in Small Talk 5 hours ago. 0 Replies

In Defense of ‘Islamophobia’

Started by Brian Daurelle in Society. Last reply by Gary Clouse 10 hours ago. 69 Replies

Blog Posts

In Avoidance of Anger

Posted by Pope Beanie on November 27, 2014 at 4:59pm 0 Comments

The plane that never crashed

Posted by Brazillian atheist on November 27, 2014 at 12:17pm 1 Comment

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service