I just returned from a long job interview that took me no less than 3 hrs. They gave me a job application form to fill in and the question "What's your religion?" was in it. I almost got a nervous break down, I felt tempted to write Jehovah Witness but thought it would be more interesting to put "None". The reason why I didn't wrote Atheist is because Atheism is not a religion, so basically I don't have a religion. If they were asking me whether I believe in god(s) then I would have answered I'm an Atheist but I think that is none of their bussiness.

Anyway now my friends and family members say that I should've wrote I'm a Catholic... But that is a small progress that I didn't put Atheist (4 years ago I was asked about Euthanasia and I said I agree with it and the recruiter sent me home lol). I know that there won't be any sort of punishment for me if I lied about that issue and that I would actually get a benefit from it, but I don't feel like going around saying I'm something I am not just to please some random person who doesn't even know me.

Or maybe is because is not a matter of live or death.

So.. would you lie about your atheism to get a job?

Tags: interview, job, lie, religion

Views: 476

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

What job were you applying for that could have any legal reason to ask this question?

A telecommunications company that in the US is known as Verizon. (My family is paying for my Bachelor degree but no way they want to help me to buy make up, clothes, and vanity stuff so I need to finance that myself, otherwise I would have said f*ck this!)

You should find yourself a sugar daddy to pay for all those vanity things :)

How did it went when you lied about it? If you don't mind the question.

Gotcha! There shouldn't be embarrasement in being an Atheist, but some people say there are benefits in posing as a christian in certain situations.

It was illegal of them to ask.

Yes in the US is illegal but in countries where there is no diversity (in the religious sense) it is not illegal.

No. I wouldn't lie about it if asked. The thing is, a job interview is like the start of a romantic relationship. If you lie to get them to like you, you'll either have to keep up the charade, or eventually they'll find out you were lying. 

But that question is completely illegal in the US (unless religious identity is central to the purpose of the employer, like a church). In theory, an employer might be looking for a non-religious person so they would have someone to work on religious holidays. But rather than ask about your religion, they have to phrase it in a job-specific way (e.g., "is there anything that would prevent you from working on weekends or holidays?").

In a job interview last year (for an association of real estate agents - mos def not a religious group), and was asked a few 'personality' questions. I got the feeling they were trying to get me to talk about religion without asking directly. They asked what books were on my nightstand (I believe it was Mockingjay and Origin of Species at the time). And they asked who I would want to have dinner with if I could pick anyone, living or dead. (I listed off a few astrophysicist types.) So - they wouldn't have to read much between the lines to assume I'm not SuperChristian. I did not get the job. But really, would not have wanted to work there anyway.

Your answer of "none" was perfect!

That's interesting, you are right is clear they were expecting you to say the bible and Jesus, so this christians have found new "smart" ways to filter out non-believers. I wonder what was the face expression of the recruiter when you answered to those questions? Sometimes their body language and facial expression give them away.

She actually looked more confused than anything. ;)

I have never lied about being an atheist. I wouldn't want to work with or for religious people ever again. "None" was the correct answer. Being an atheist is nothing to be ashamed of.

I'd either put that it's private or none, like yourself. 

RSS

Support T|A

Think Atheist is 100% member supported

All proceeds go to keeping Think Atheist online.

Donate with Dogecoin

Videos

• Add Videos

Services we love

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Into life hacks? Check out LabMinions.com

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

© 2014   Created by Dan.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service