This question really applies to all religions, but sinse I live in the bible belt of the states I'll stick with what I'm most familiar with. It is extremely difficult for me to meet an atheist guy where I'm from. There are a few guys who are interested in me, but the fact that they are all Christian turns me off tremendously (I don't think any of them know I am an atheist, otherwise I doubt any of them would be interested any longer).

To me there is nothing sexier than an intelligent man and if you don't "believe" in evolution, I'm sorry, you are not too bright in my book... Or if you believe that the bible is the literal word of God, how can I ever expect to have an intelligent conversation with you?

There are plenty of good guys where I'm from, but the moment they tell me that the reason behind their happiness and positive outlook on life is the spirit of Jesus living in their heart, it's all I can do but puke all over their shoes...

If the guy I was dating every told me that he wants us to wait until marriage to have sex or that he is against the usage of any kind of birth control, the next words out of my mouth would be "I'm sorry, but this really isn't going to work out..." I respect everyone's decision when it comes to their sexual preferences, but when it is so out of sync with my own, it is a deal-breaker. I realize that some Christians do have premarital sex, but guilt almost always follows and I'm sure that that guilt impacts their performance in one way or another.

I know there are plenty of atheist/Christian couples out there who have made their relationships work, but I just cannot imagine how they do it. Coming from such a religious family and being surrounded by such an abundance of ignorant, sexist, racist, and homophobic comments and behavior every single day, I cannot imagine ever being happy with someone who mirrors those attitudes and behavior. I could never be happy unless he was someone on whom I could vent on about my frustrations with religion and my family without having to worry about offending him. Instead, he'd have to be empathetic and encouraging. There's no way I'd ever get that from any Christian...

What are your thoughts on this subject?

Views: 4695

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I understand your sentiments completely. I can't even stand being with agnostics. My atheist friends are all very driven, determined individuals. They always seems to be very balanced and emotionally mature as well. Whereas any agnostic or theist I've dated were always just kinda floating through life. They never seemed to be particularly good at navigating around life's obstacles.

I've dated a few girls that have some... basic christian beliefs, and that's not that bad.... they're more christian/agnostics, saying things like, "I guess they're might be something out there, and it would probably be a christian god, I guess...". 

But, when they, or their close friends, start showing that they're more extreme religious, that's when I can't really take it. Chances are, we'll get into almost a fight with eachother about religion, and it just won't work out. Last thing I want after that, is to kiss them!

I'm surprised and sorry to read this! I hope you just need to mix up your social circle a bit and find more progressive people. Just over the border here in Vancouver, Canada, I set my online dating searches to filter out Christians, not because that is necessarily a problem, but because there are lots of more interesting agnostic, spiritual, Hindu, Buddhist, etc. profiles to choose from. Most of the "Christians" use that label just because they are from a nominally Christian family as I am, not because they go to church or any of that. A church marriage would be a deal-breaker for me, but that is getting pretty rare here. Good luck!

Sure. Why not? Dating isn't marriage. I don't think I'd marry a very devout Christian, but if I found a non-devout Christian who was largely pleasant to be with and could suck the chrome off a trailer hitch, why not?

RSS

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service