Would you eat it? I certainly would. This question is also directed at vegetarians. My personal feelings are that it would be a healthier/safer/more sanitary way to go about meat. What are your thoughts?

Tags: meat, vegetarian

Views: 595

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Frankly my dear, I'd eat you too if I saw you roaming around. ;)

Not being a grammar nazi, just a lame attempt at humor. :)

Would said lab grown meat be delicious? If so, yes.

I don't have a problem with killing animals for food, provided we try to do it as humanely as possible. So I wouldn't go out of my way to get lab grown meat. I wouldn't go out of my way to avoid it either though.

I'd certainly try lab-meat. I'm not vegetarian, but I am sympathetic to the idea.

Have you ever had Quorn? It's the brand name of a meat-replacement product made from (as they call it) mycoprotein. Yep, that means fungus... vat-grown fungus. But don't let that worry you - I don't even like normal mushrooms, but still really like this. I recommend the Beef Style Grounds (chop meat replacement for using in recipes) or Chik'n Patties (chicken patty replacement) - both are surprisingly tasty.

I would have to know alot more about the meat before making any decision either way. I have been a vegetarian for ten years, mostly because I don't care for the taste/texture of meat. Over time I became more aware of the many issues surrounding meat production and factory farming in the US.

If it was possible to grow meat in a laboratory that didn't taste like meat, and wasn't radioactive, I might consider it.

So, you still wouldn't eat synthetic meat, even if it has no connection to animals whatsoever? Surely that'd be a matter of taste rather than morals...?

I'd like to think that I wouldn't eat it. Flesh is flesh, I find the taste and especially the texture nauseating. And, well, I guess I can say it here...meat smells like human shit, and vice versa, to me.

And natural hot springs usually smell like rotten eggs, but they are one of life's most pleasant experiences.  Our senses and impressions often deceive us.

Good point! But I don't really peruse hot springs, either...

I am not a Vegetarian I love meat I think I would be open to trying lab grown meat as a substitute to farm raised provided there were no health risk's and the taste was not compromised but it would really have to hold in taste compared to real meat.

I don't typically eat highly processed foods... lab grown meat to me seems to fall into the category of highly processed. If lab grown meat were available I might try some out of curiosity but I certainly wouldn't make it a habit if I ate it at all. I prefer to buy my food especially meat from local/regional farms that way I know what I am really getting and that way I know less energy/fossil fuels were used to get it to me.

Just seen this:

The World's First Lab-Grown Hamburger Could Be Created By August 2012

Apparently, without blood and fat it'd taste disgusting...

If we are going to have a future with deep space exploration & humans settling in other parts of the galaxy, we would need to find a way to grow all kinds of foods & nutrients in the lab, not just meat, so I for one am game for this.

It will take time & to get it to be as healthy as the natural stuff will take even longer but I'd go for it.

RSS

Support T|A

Think Atheist is 100% member supported

All proceeds go to keeping Think Atheist online.

Donate with Dogecoin

Members

Forum

Things you hate.

Started by Devlin Cuite in Small Talk. Last reply by Simon Paynton 14 minutes ago. 184 Replies

Videos

• Add Videos

Services we love

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Into life hacks? Check out LabMinions.com

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

© 2014   Created by Dan.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service