Would you eat it? I certainly would. This question is also directed at vegetarians. My personal feelings are that it would be a healthier/safer/more sanitary way to go about meat. What are your thoughts?

Tags: meat, vegetarian

Views: 624

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

If you encountered a crate of tomatoes that had just fallen off a truck and splattered all over the highway would your mouth water at the thought of slurping them up?
No, I'm not very fond of tomatoes. But if it were mangoes it would have that effect, yes.
Guess I will never understand.

By the way, I think this ties in nicely with the other topic about disgust as a psychological factor that influences notions of morality. In the case of meat, I wonder which one came first and created the other - the disgust or the morality?

In my case at least, I do not at all agree that it is immoral to eat meat in any way. Save animals and eat plants? Why, because plants cannot run? I don't buy that. I'm just not able to overcome the disgust. In fact I tried a lot to convert to non-veg, and gave up.

I disagree with the morality assessment. Disgust is a learned behaviour, morality is simply the grouping together of sets of learned behaviours within any given society. My mother thinks eating a fresh berry in the forest is disgusting, because her mother thought it was disgusting, as did her mother, and so forth and so forth. She will collect wild berries and not eat a single one before it's been subjected to gallons of water to clean them from nature's impurities. People find all sorts of really normal behaviours disgusting. I know people who think eating with their fingers is disgusting, still others who think human nudity is disgusting. There are no limits to the possibilities of disgusting being taught. The cannibal peoples through times did not think eating humans was disgusting.
As far as nudity being disgusting, I prefer to judge that on a case by case basis. :D
lol

Morality is also learned, isn't it? I am not suggesting a direct correlation between morality and disgust, but isn't disgust often used as a strong deterrent to discourage people from indulging in a behavior which a system of morality decrees as wrong?

Examples: The whole incest thing. Homosexuality.

Usually the people arguing for a linkage between morality and disgust and homosexuality are saying the opposite, that the disgust is "nature talking" and that the morality can be biologically derived in such a way from evolution.  Religious people argue that this disgust of homosexuality is biologically grounded and therefore homosexuals are "unnatural". I am clearly positioning myself again that opinion. My only factor in choosing a quality food is authenticity. I have removed most processed foods from my diet, which means I've removed most grains from my diet. One of the only forms of grain I eat is sprouted bread (versus flour based bread) which is the way humans used grains before technology came around and facilitated production of cheap denatured starchy flour. The only "regular" meat I dislike is liver, which is historically the prised food organ for hunters.

I most situations I find the use of the word disgust quite petty.

Man just wants a place to stick his dick into. It's not morality it's sexual drive.
I'll give you an A+ for honesty and a C- for tact. :D
Because plants don't suffer

RSS

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service