Would you eat it? I certainly would. This question is also directed at vegetarians. My personal feelings are that it would be a healthier/safer/more sanitary way to go about meat. What are your thoughts?

Tags: meat, vegetarian

Views: 620

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I don't have the article on hand, but this week on the news, meat was successfully lab grown, I think it was in the Netherlands. If I remember the radio report correctly, they said a lab-grown burger would be 35$ ?

I read something similar.  Apparently the problem is that even lab grown meat needs to be exercised - so this leaves producers with the cost of micro nutrients and energy (for electrically stimulating the muscle/meat) in place of 'feed cost'.  Turns out it's cheaper to let a cow digest grain for the micro nutrients and energy than it is to extract all those nutrients and produce an equivalent amount of energy by however electricity is produced in your area.  Oops.

Thanks that's an interesting caveat. I have not yet looked into the science behind this yet.

It was Heston Blumenthal, of The Fat Duck (3 Michelin stars) fame and part of the molecular gastronomy movement, in collaboration with University of Maastricht which was able to produce a small piece. A whole burger would cost something like $300 000. Not quite an option yet (at least not for me), but may become so in the future.

300 instead of 35... even worse than my memory... thanks :)

I wouldn't eat horse-meat I said the other day only to find out it was already in some of the products I do eat,I guess it will go the same way for lab-grown meat but not as long as it costs a Ferrari for a bite but if it goes the same way as computer parts do that won't be too long. 

I do all the time- it's called Quorn- it's actually fake meat and a mycoprotein, but I prefer it over meat and soy based products.

http://www.quorn.com/

Nature has made everything according to a standard and precise balance. So when the meat is grown in lab, we are never 100% sure that how risky it is for us. Example is in front of you. Genetically modified food, most of them have serious adverse effects on human body. why? because scientists are never 100% fully aware of the fact that how every living thing works in nature.

Right now its just like "Hit n Trial", if it will have bad effects, we will ban it? if it doesn,t we will consume it?

I love meat, in any shape, form, color and state.  I would breath meat if I could.  The only reason I don't use bacon toothpaste is because it's not available here in Switzerland, where I live.  So yes, I would eat lab-grown meat.  I mean...come on...we all eat cow-grown meat.  I'm sure lab-grown meat is a lot cleaner, disease-free and healthier than free-range animal grown meat.  

Extreme...yes.  But, oh well...

I'm a vegetarian, and count me as a yes vote.  If an animal does not die or suffer harm in the production of meat, I have no ethical qualms with it.  I might not eat a lot of lab-grown meat, as I've come to enjoy my vegetarian diet, but from time to time I would probably indulge in a lab-grown sushi roll or a lab-grown steak.

RSS

Blog Posts

People

Posted by ɐuɐz ǝllǝıuɐp on July 28, 2014 at 10:27pm 4 Comments

Services we love

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by Dan.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service