...a couple staffers had been armed?

Tags: control, gun, guns, killings, mass

Views: 8255

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

archaeopteryx

Hahaha, I just go a mental picture of a Comet chasing you. :D

It might but look at history do some research. There is an issue with crossfire, kids getting the guns, are they safer if the guns are locked up on the premises. Laughnor the gabby gifford incident was disarmed atthe same time a concealed weapon holder came throughthe grocey door. He almost shot the man who disarmed the killer. You add more weapons becomes very chaotic and more unpredictable. Statistically more people get the ther own weapon used agains them then use it to stop a crime.

Here's a question for you: Is it totally dissatisfactory if someone shoots the wrong person first then shoots the right one and in doing so saves three or four people from being shot. Do the math.

But does it make sense to have people with guns to shoot people with guns?  No its not ok for someone to kill any victims, even by accident. If the gunman did shoot the man who disarmed jared that man will be up against the law for trying to help.

There is no distinction made because the solution to the problem is not possible going in that direction. More guns in the schools isn't going to help anyone because its not a real double negative. There is too much evidence that the chance those weapons are used to actually prevent newtown or any crime for that matter out weighs the amount of damage adding the guns would cause. 

I don't think the situation would be The Shootout At The OK Corral. What I envision isn't some guy bursting in with six gun blazing but a guy with some skills shooting a weapon accurately, not just going into a room and spraying it with bullets.

I get what you saying:)  For me it is more statistical. I know a lot of research by the gun companies has gone into making the argument that concealed weapons lower crime and those on the other side will contest that countries with no guns have WAY less gun crimes then the US. We can add up all the countries that do not allow guns and get pretty close to the US in population and it does show 1000's of deaths difference, even less violent gun deaths. But then violent crime stats are very comparable to the US overall per capita. The only real difference is the rate of successful suicide and those who kill their wife/husband/bfriend/griend is a significant drop in non gun countries. but does that mean that it is enough to ban all gun ownership? No here is what I do think, stop saying they are for protection they are a lot of fun but the stats show no real difference in preventing crime or stopping an act of violence. Put your unload gun in a gun safe, put the ammo in a separate location if possible. Take to the range and have at it. I say this understanding what a gun really is in the hands of law enforcement and the military to understanding what I know I will never have to use it to defend my house an home from my own govt. Don't let fear dictate owning and protecting your right to bear arms, because that is what the special interests want from you. Please its not about your rights its about what you buy and how much more you buy when your scared of losing it. This whole debate on both sides is only about fear mongering and power.

How can you compare different countries along just one dimension as though there are no economic or cultural differences other than gun ownership? That kind of comparison is so naive as to be irrelevant. Take countries as similar as the United States and Canada. To Americans, Canada is hardly more than a suburb. If I, an American, go to Canada, it almost looks like America in some parallel dimension. Many of the same chain businesses are there. The same cars for the most part. They tend to look like Americans, and yet the cultural differences are great. If there is less gun crime there, how do you distinguish gun ownership from all the other differences?

You, like so many, talk in terms of gun ownership. I've pointed this out before but I'll do so again: much of the street crime involving guns involves guns not owned by the people who use them.. There is a large market in stolen guns. 

First off population statistic you can gather enough countreies to compare like germany spain france canada britain netherlands so on to add up the close tot he same population as the US and when per capita is checked it still bears that gun violence is down does that prove anything I said in my post of course not. Now moving on the illegal guns. It does NOT statistically help you defend yourself agains those who buy guns and use them illegally anymore than the people who commit crimes with legal guns.

My whole point to some is stop making this about defending yourself or family. these are adult toys plain and simple. If a mentally ill person gets a gun illegal and kills somebody the person is still hurt or dead and the other is still either in jail or more likely more mentally ill than beofre and going to do it again but you owning a weapon to fight that statistically doesn' make you more likely to survive.

but you owning a weapon to fight that statistically doesn' make you more likely to survive.

Where did you get that statistic? Well, it's not actually a statistic. It's an allegation that there's a statistic. Anyway, please find and present it.

@ Mat Waldie,

I carry a gun and I drive a car, you are more likely to be killed by my car then by my gun, statistically.

You say:

but you owning a weapon to fight that statistically doesn' make you more likely to survive.

Mat, each year the FBI reports a few hundred civilian "justified homicides", those would be the survivors.

People do defend themselves in the real world everyday.  It's not the gun, it is the intent of the person who holds it.

Mat Waldie says;

Statistically more people get the ther own weapon used agains them then use it to stop a crime.

Claim without source, what are you trying to be, a christian?

Okay, I want to hear from you gun nuts out there.  I have two questions you don’t want to answer.

1) How do you account for the fact that no other country has anywhere near the number of gun deaths we do?  Face it: you don’t have an answer (you are willing to give) that makes any sense.  Gee, if we knew how THOSE countries prevented THEIR people from being routinely slaughtered every day, maybe we could copy what THEY do.  Ya think?!

2) Where should we draw the line? I mean how many little children and other innocents have to die each year before you are willing to give up your imaginary right to carry around assault weapons and large magazines?  Obviously, 30,000 isn’t the tipping point.  How about a million?  How about...never mind; you don’t care how many die as long as you’ve got that gun handy to blow away anyone you don't like - like ME.

Charlton Heston inadvertently gave HIS answer to Michael Moore.  He made it clear that he feels we have too many blacks and Mexicans in this country.  Is that YOUR answer, as well?  Of course, nearly all the mass killings are perpetrated by white people.  Perhaps we should deport or throw in prison, all white people.

It boggles my mind how ANY country with the carnage we inflict on each other with guns, year in and year out, can call itself the "greatest country" with a straight face.

One more thing: I've said it here many times before, but it bears constant repeating: the NRA is the most bloodthirsty criminal organization in American history.  Even the Mafia wasn't evil enough to accept money from gun manufacturers and retailers.  They only killed other criminals, not helpless little kids in a classroom.  The NRA has one goal and one goal only: to make sure the gun industry is enriched; it has ZERO interest in how many innocent people are killed by the products that make their bosses (and themselves) wealthy. 

RSS

Atheist Sites

Forum

The Movie Kiss: Romance or Rape?

Started by Unseen in Society. Last reply by Cato Rigas 2 hours ago. 68 Replies

Parents: help?

Started by Lee in Advice. Last reply by Cato Rigas 2 hours ago. 9 Replies

In Defense of ‘Islamophobia’

Started by Brian Daurelle in Society. Last reply by Unseen 5 hours ago. 70 Replies

Blog Posts

In Avoidance of Anger

Posted by Pope Beanie on November 27, 2014 at 4:59pm 0 Comments

The plane that never crashed

Posted by Brazillian atheist on November 27, 2014 at 12:17pm 1 Comment

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service