...a couple staffers had been armed?

Tags: control, gun, guns, killings, mass

Views: 8202

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

Ho sorry guys ........

I must say I am pleased to live in England, here in London, not all police carry weapons, and not many of the bad guys. Ho and to be an atheist is not a huge problem.

I am sorry again

Your attitude to fight guns with more guns ......well is does seem, a bit, well WRONG

Here in England we have few guns and less gun crime.

Check your crime stats Brian neither of our country's are that safe.  Here a comparison

Brilliant deduction and that my friend is exactly the point.

But you ASSUME that it's the availability of guns and not a cultural difference between Europeans, Canadians, etc., and Americans. 

How many people in those countries actually want a gun? Obviously, a lot of Americans do. 

Locked up in a gun club? Note to criminals: want to get a lot of guns at once?

Ok so lets look at American data only.

Violence Policy Center (VPC) of Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) data.

The five states with the highest per capita gun death rates were Louisiana, Alaska, Montana, Tennessee, and Alabama. Each of these states had a per capita gun death rate far exceeding the national per capita gun death rate of 10.32 per 100,000. By contrast, states with strong gun laws and low rates of gun ownership had far lower rates of firearm-related death.

Ranking last in the nation for gun death was Hawaii, followed by Massachusetts, Rhode Island, New Jersey, and New York.

States with the Five HIGHEST Per Capita Gun Death Rates:

Louisiana--Rank: 1; Household Gun Ownership: 45.6 percent; Gun Death Rate: 19.04 per 100,000.

Alaska--Rank: 2; Household Gun Ownership: 60.6 percent; Gun Death Rate: 17.49 per 100,000.

Montana--Rank: 3; Household Gun Ownership: 61.4 percent; Gun Death Rate: 17.22 per 100,000.

Tennessee--Rank: 4; Household Gun Ownership: 46.4 percent; Gun Death Rate: 16.39 per 100,000.

Alabama--Rank: 5; Household Gun Ownership: 57.2 percent; Gun Death Rate: 16.18 per 100,000.

States with the Five LOWEST Per Capita Gun Death Rates

Hawaii--Rank: 50; Household Gun Ownership: 9.7 percent; Gun Death Rate: 2.20 per 100,000.

Massachusetts--Rank: 49; Household Gun Ownership: 12.8 percent; Gun Death Rate: 3.48 per 100,000.

Rhode Island--Rank: 48; Household Gun Ownership: 13.3 percent; Gun Death Rate: 3.63 per 100,000.

New Jersey--Rank: 47; Household Gun Ownership: 11.3 percent; Gun Death Rate: 4.99 per 100,000.

New York--Rank: 46; Household Gun Ownership: 18.1 percent; Gun Death Rate: 5.28 per 100,000.

VPC Legislative Director Kristen Rand states, "Blind allegiance to the Second Amendment comes at a deadly price.

SOURCE Violence Policy Center
PR Newswire (http://s.tt/1bLMy)

Why does solving a gun death problem with more guns sound to me like fighting a fire with gasoline and a match? It's not an American thing, its a gun thing.

I always say that the difference between the gun death rates of the USA and Canada is the difference between Americans and Canadians. 

Your problem is that there are actual cultural differences between, for example, a Hawaiian or Rhode Islander and a Louisianan or Alaskan. If there were any interest in gun control laws in Louisiana or Alaska there would be ballot initiatives being passed. I don't think any such initiative has even made it as far as the ballot in either state. 

Second Amendment considerations aside, are we now down to forcing gun control on states where there is insufficient interest in it to try to pass laws on their own?

As for Ms. Rand's bumper sticker slogan, it's the job of the Supreme Court to give blind allegiance to the Constitution and not let what's going on in the real world influence their decisions.

It can take your land, your dog, or your car. To keep the government from taking them,.you'll need to add a couple more amendments to the Constitution. Taking guns can only be done if it can be done without violating the Second Amendment.

So Marc, I bothered to check.

The Violence Policy Center is an anti-gun organization.

They do not appear to be connected to the CDC, they merely used some of the CDC's data.

Here are the actual stats collected by the CDC for 2009 in a report titled:

Surveillance for Violent Deaths — National Violent Death Reporting System, 16 States, 2009.

I hope you like reading.

Blaine says:

"If giving up my hobby, would save one child, so be it."

I have always had a hard time getting my head around these type of statements.

How does you giving up your hobby keep another individual from killing a child?

This kind of cognitive disconnect has never worked for me in making a coherent cohesive argument.

And Blaine using certain words for the specific purpose of inflaming emotions is what politicians do, not what rational people do. (word #62)

Blaine observes:

"Very simple, no gun, no kill with gun."

See we can agree on something.

Alas a "solution" is a long way off as long as the desire is to "disarm & comply" and not to "protect & defend".

RSS

Blog Posts

Invictus

Posted by Marinda on September 11, 2014 at 4:08pm 0 Comments

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service