...a couple staffers had been armed?

Tags: control, gun, guns, killings, mass

Views: 8202

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

just as a comment, I think saving those few children would be the best if in fact the position you posit is the greatest possible (and also realistic) solution of arming teachers in a school.  

But I think there are better solutions.  I think reasonable gun control can be had.  This would take 40, 50, 100 years possibly but it might be worth it.  

Also, more security at a school.  Bullet proof glass, parents would need an id to pick up their children.  

But honestly, if I wanted to murder lots of children and a school started to put in bullet proof glass and have armed people everywhere, I would just go to a toys r us and walk in with an m4 and start mowing them down.  

Why would someone target a school?  Sure there are lots of children in a tight space but there are MANY places where lots of children in tight spaces go.  

It has to do with easily accessible guns.  Take care of that issue and other things will naturally get better, but never will it be 100% better.  There will always be guns that end up in hands that they shouldn't be in.

I would like to find a solution for this 'problem', that allows people to own weapons as they see fit, that can suppress all or most acts of gun violence, that does not severly impact human health. that allows some civilizing process within culture, and that does not decay our cultural standing with other peoples.  

That would involve copious amounts of personal responsibility from an overwhelming majority of the population. Let's not be so absurd, please.

I AM A DREAMER, I KNOW THAT!

We need humor, mixed with our bitter pills....

Then get down on your knees and PRAY! (Did I just write that?)

"Prey!" would have been more like you --

That video smells like religion, and it's been around for years. Odds of you actually defending yourself with a gun are insignificant. Obviously, it has not been a deterrent either. You may "feel" safer with a gun under your pillow, but you are far more likely to use it on yourself. Sorry, that is just the way it is. Criminals are breaking into houses just to steal your guns. They are not scared of Joe homeowner, since they maybe cranked-up on meth anyways.

Homicide Rate (per 100,000) and count, per year.

United States  4.2   12,996

Australia         1.0    229

Justifiable homicide rates are low: Very few killings are ruled as justifiable homicides each year. When taking into population, even the highest rates in a given year are only about five per million people. Usually, they are far lower.

source

I do not advocate an all out ban. I enjoy shooting. I also enjoy living and working without fear of being massacred. I think the NRA better get it's head out of it's ass and concede a few common sense ways of controlling this wild access to such dangerous weapons.

You may "feel" safer with a gun under your pillow, but you are far more likely to use it on yourself.

Feeling safer is not an insignificant reason for owning something. Even illusory peace of mind can be comforting and mentally healthy. Is it some 3rd party's right to decide if I should or shouldn't have a gun, knife, brass knuckles, etc., under my pillow?

Chuck Norris has a pillow under his gun. Of course, society in general and governments (elected or not) decide what rights you have or do not have. You can't put an RPG under your pillow. That is the thin line this whole thread is about. The balance between laws and rights. If rights are deemed to cause too much harm, they can be taken away. Smoking in public places comes to mind.

I heard of this RPG that felt so insecure that he started sleeping with Chuck Norris under his pillow. :D

OK..now that is the only thing I agree with

RobertPiano says;

"...If rights are deemed to cause too much harm, they can be taken away..."

Incorrect, inalienable rights can only be suspended under certain circumstances not "taken away".

Lincoln suspended the right to "habeas corpus" during the civil war, it was not "taken away".

RSS

Blog Posts

Invictus

Posted by Marinda on September 11, 2014 at 4:08pm 0 Comments

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service