...a couple staffers had been armed?

Tags: control, gun, guns, killings, mass

Views: 8523

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

I feel fairly sure that if there were a dozen armed students at Virginia Tech or a couple armed teachers or administrators at Columbine, at least a few students would have been saved.

I feel fairly certain that if there were a dozen students with rocks at Virginia Tech or a couple teachers or administrators with sling shots at Columbine, at least a few students would have been saved.

Luby's happened while Texas had laws against concealed carry.  One woman, who had left her gun out in the car in accordance with the then-law, got to watch her parents get killed.  The Luby's massacre provided a solid argument for the legalization of concealed carry in Texas, and it is now legal there with a permit (they also recognize many out of state permits).

California has only extremely limited concealed carry. 

So all the assailant had to do in either case was check for badges and visible firearms; contrary to your assertion, these were not cases where the assailant could not be assured people were defenseless.

I expect that gun shows might feel, to a user of weapons, like home, where they would be accepted and even honored for their choice of weapon.

It is unclear, but I expect that some contexts might offer a shooter greater cognitive dissonance, and so greater anger and aggression.  

The more I read your posts, the more I realize how out of touch withe everyday people you are. Gun shows will have a lot of ex-military and hunters, neither group feeling very friendly to people who kill innocent children..

It is unclear that you can offer any more insight into my personality, than I can into yours. I can only see you darkly through your prose. Your evaluation of me shows only a limited level of experience. I have 'everyday people', (what ever that means) in my life, as you, many I call friend.

If you are attempting to call me out, as if I am some devient on TA, you are badly mistaken. I have dear family and that I desire long lives and happiness for, but my concern for others does not end at the family VS others boundary.   

Just another person looking for a gun, need not appear any different than anyone else. What they have in mind is invisiable. Again intent is at issue.

I doubt that the ex-military and hunters you mention, will have any more clue than the rest of us. I would hope that these ex-military and hunters could have a better idea who would offer some degree of risk to the population, out of practice or a learned skill, but it seems doubtful. If it were easy to spot  'intent' in another, we might all sleep more soundly, and interven sooner before any resulting ugliness need appear.

So far we seem condemned to blunt tools to control violence in society. The conversation on TA, is  among many others between 'everyday people', concerning this.    

RE: "Finding the shooter is no problem. Follow the gun shots!" - and every one you hear, as you make your way down the hall, say to yourself, "Dead ked! Dead kid! Dead kid!"

OK so don't be there at all and say "dead kid" 20 times instead of five or six?

What the hell kind of logic is that?

Did I say that? Please point out the sentence.

Kind of macabre, but true.

Interesting silence from the NRA so far huh?

Not even one quotable 'People kill people, not guns' statement.

The thing is the government already places restrictions on various substances and behaviors.The restrictions already in place like speed limits are not questioned. I am the first one to speak up on topics of government infringing on lifestyle choices. Gun control is not a lifestyle choice issue its becoming more and more a public safety issue like speeding. On my street the speed limit is 35 miles per hour, the reason being is that studies have show reduced speeds prevent sever injury or death if a MVA should occur. I do not hear people protesting the governments involvement with dictating what speed we drive. Government is also involved with certain safety regulations in the work force. Safety regulations are set and employers have to abide by them or pay a fine...so how is regulations on fire arms different....The right to bear arms was for home defense and hunting, it does not take multiple high power fire arms to defend your home...

© 2015   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service