...a couple staffers had been armed?

Tags: control, gun, guns, killings, mass

Views: 8266

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

I think stupid has been the new smart for quite a while now.

Sadly yes. I was told a few days ago, by a retired employment advisor, that I should 'go along to get along'. Every time I have tried, my brains, honesty, and independence get in the way. If I just 'stopped' being who I am, I guess this could make alot of trolls very happy.

Now I am looking for work again after one year's self-given sabbatical. My contracting business died during the 'mis-management' economy crash. Now I have to redefine myself again to a whole web of new gate keepers. Atleast I did not need to go live with my mother... 

Sadly, I have needed to 'live with my mother' a few times over the last 20 years, but atleast I have always found my exit after a few months. I can't say that others are less motivated for staying with 'mom', but it can get very comfortable.

Very cogent argument, Gregg. Yea. They were 5 and 6 years old. Who could have a problem with blowing their heads off, right?

@ Mike Long,

You're doing it too Mike;

...blowing their heads off...

all of these children and adults were shot with a handgun, not a shotgun nor even a rifle (even tho the media leaves the impression they were all killed with an AR 15).

So Mike when I see people using inflammatory emotionally charged words and hyperbole in their argument I point it out.

The question that started this thread pointed out a simple reality, essentially that a defenseless "Gun Free Zone" is a "Target Rich Environment" for a derange person bent on killing.

And that the reliance of the "Gun Free Zone" on the "Honor System" is clearly flawed as demonstrated at Virgina Tech, Aurora, Shady Hook, etc.

Mike, the only way to make a "Gun Free Zone" safe is to defend it, for an example take a plane somewhere.

Actually, most gun mayhem is not done with "assault rifles, but rather with handguns and shotguns, two types of guns which will never be put under control without a change in the Constitution, to amend or repeal the 2nd Amendment, which will happen when pigs fly.

I don't think that is correct, our recent history shows that we are willing to accept violations of the 2nd Amendment all the time.  Case in point Clinton's AWB, to me a very clear infringement of 2nd Amendment Rights.

Not to mention I can't by a muffler for my rifle without paying an additional $200 to the government and then waiting a year for permission to buy the muffler.

How is my NOT being allowed to purchase an FN P90 NOT an infringement on my 2nd Amendment Right?  But I can buy a pre-86 full auto MP5 if I'm willing to spend $5,000 to $10,000.  This shit is insane.

It's actually a semi-solid point, and it should be addressed.

Would it have been smaller? Who knows. I don't see how analysing one event could draw any good conclusions. It seems pointless to ponder on the what ifs as it is a complex thing with so many variables. 

One thing that gets me is the classic 'guns don't kill, people do'.  Yea, WITH. GUNS. Guns give the speed and ruthless efficiency that a psycho wants by orders of magnitude - compared to, say, a knife - they make it like a Nintendo game, reducing people to inanimate targets. You just can't wipe out a classroom so quickly with any other weapon.

I can see an adult killing nearly 20 people in 10 minute with a knife. A knife might even be more effficient since one tends not to "miss" with a knife because it's such an intimate way of killing.

Actually, quite recently in China, a man did exactly that in a schoolful of children - and I can see, now that I've already started, that kOrsan has a link to it below - but of the children he stabbed, none died.

Death by gunshot involves not only the bullet, it can also be caused by the shock of the impact - not so much with a knife - and people a distance away have less reason to fear the attacker than someone wielding a gun, and stand a greater chance of disarming him.

Many of the people killed by bombs have no outward signs of injury. The shock wave from the blast would rupture some of their internal organs causing them to die of exsangjuination or by catastrophic organ malfunction.

RSS

Forum

Torture Report release today

Started by Unseen in Ethics & Morals. Last reply by Davis Goodman 3 hours ago. 110 Replies

My Grandpa died last week

Started by Physeter in Small Talk. Last reply by Unseen 3 hours ago. 5 Replies

Great retorts

Started by Unseen in Quotes. Last reply by Wesley 5 hours ago. 13 Replies

Is There Any Ex-Mennonites or Ex-Amish On This Site?

Started by Jessica Miller in Advice. Last reply by Physeter 9 hours ago. 25 Replies

Blog Posts

Pabst Blue Ribbon to the rescue!

Posted by Ed on December 15, 2014 at 9:33pm 0 Comments

Finally, a cool billboard in Arkansas!

Posted by Ed on December 15, 2014 at 8:21am 2 Comments

Atheist Sites

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service