...a couple staffers had been armed?

Tags: control, gun, guns, killings, mass

Views: 8182

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

I think a better question is why is it that our schools are so poorly monitored? It's not like the guy walked in blazing. I don't know about the east coast states but where I'm from in Ca, my schools always had 6 foot chain fencing with monitors to keep people out. Adults had to go to the front office, no exceptions. My high school was made by a prison maker, has 30 foot cement walls, iron gates that locked and steel doors. It didn't have barbed wire or anything, but it point was that we where safe. I can understand not being fortified but why was a man allowed to just roam around a elementary school?

the way you describe your school gives it the outlook of a garrison. Compared to my school, your former school would be a prison. The fence around my school was barbed wire barely 1.8m high and the gate manned by unarmed guards. All you had to do was say who you were going to see and that is it. My campus had fences but in real sense it is as porous as a sieve. I don't see why a school need to be so fortified, in fact I think it points to a problem within the society.

In Australia

No fences around most schools.

No guards in schools.

No security checks on entering schools.

No school mass slayings

No guns (well almost)

i hate to ask, but that sound like my Catholic school..;)

no it was not. It was public.

True, but did you notice the almost total lack of dark skin. It might have been public but I'm not sure what the difference was between it and a lily-white private school. And most private schools would have wanted some dark-skinned tokens to show how liberal they were. A public school has the excuse that it just draws on the kids from its district.

lol It was public, and 50% Mexican. CA yo.

You just reminded me of a movie, Prison New York.

Is it because I'm looking from the outside, why is it people are not concerned that they are actually constructing their own prison?, life is always going to be a risk and we should find ways to minimize the risks, but surely there has to be a balance between safety and freedom, I keep thinking of the person who has a dozen locks on their door, and then either a fire starts or a killer shoots through the window, the occupier has no where to run.

Schools in my opinion should be more like prisons. School is not meant to be a social house. You're there to gain knowledge. Something kids don't even care about as much as the socializing these days. My school didn't make me feel trapped. I liked that I felt safe. We didn't have windows, and we had a good fire system and every room had a second or third door for exit from.

I'm not sure about schools being prisons but I saw a Nightline piece a while ago about how so many kids text hundreds of times a day, with many of those texts being done in class. No wonder the output of our schools is so abysmal in terms of academics, by comparison with other countries. I think it's been shown that single-sex schools where the kids wear uniforms and not trendy clothes help keep their minds on academics.

We are getting way off topic but I completely agree.

Are you serious about this? If kids don't like going to school in the first place, why would they for whatever reason want to do it in a place that felt like a prison. Mine felt like a prison just because it was against school rules to go to the gate unless you were going home. In a fortified school I wouldn't have gone bonkers

RSS

Blog Posts

My Dad and the Communist Spies

Posted by Brad Snowder on August 20, 2014 at 2:39pm 0 Comments

Breaking Free

Posted by A. T. Heist on August 20, 2014 at 9:56am 4 Comments

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service