...a couple staffers had been armed?

Tags: control, gun, guns, killings, mass

Views: 8252

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

I've noticed that people outside the US are utterly ignorant of the laws we do have and have visions of us being able to walk into a gun shop and come out with a wheelbarrow heaped with full auto Uzis.  Hollywood seems to have something to do with causing this as they show people in gun shops then show them shooting full auto weaponry.  (I ran into a Kiwi once who was adamant that both Columbine shooters were using full auto Uzis, it turns out that ONE had a semi-automatic Tec 9, which--by the way--is such a piece of shit it more than likely jammed every five rounds.)

So let me explain it to them.

The National Firearms Act of 1934 made it illegal to transfer a full-auto gun (i.e., one that shoots multiple rounds on one press of the trigger) without the buyer paying a $200 tax (a huge amount of money back then), and the buyer had to fill out a shit-ton of paperwork and he needed the approval of local law enforcement, which they had the right to refuse arbitrarily (i.e., because the police chief or sheriff had a bug up his butt).  This, by the way, is classified in the United States Code as a tax law (Title 26) rather than criminal law (Title 18), unless something has changed in the last 15 years or so. This is a most peculiar tax in that you have to beg the government's permission to pay it!

The guns themselves are registered (and doG help you if you are caught with one and don't have the tax receipt with you), and it is now (since 1986) illegal to manufacture new ones for that market, which means that now they cost thousands of dollars (I should have invested in some about 20 years ago).  Apparently only one or two of these guns have ever been used in a crime.

All this Sturm und Drang about assault weapons when I'm sure 99.999% of gun robberies, assaults, and murders are done with a pistol or shotgun, two kinds of guns which will never be banned in the U.S.

Indeed. You of course are highlighting yet another way in which this whole thing is absolutely ridiculous.

Not only are machine guns not the issue, "assault weapons" really aren't either.  By the way there is no coherent definition of an "assualt weapon" other than "whatever makes Diane Feinstein unhappy"  An assault rifle on the other hand is well defined, and will have full auto capability.  Which AR-15s don't.

Oh and by the way thank you for making the world a safer place by exercising your right to self defense.

Thank you @SteveInCO. I'm glad you explained that for others who may not have understood the law. Even for my handgun and shotgun I had to do a fair amount of paperwork, plus the EXTRA paperwork for my concealed carry.

You can thank the Gun Control Act of 1968 and the Brady Act of 1994 (plus possibly others, depending on where you live) for the paperwork and hassle to purchase the guns.  The concealed carry hassle is necessary because open carry is not legal everywhere, and not customary everywhere, and concealed carry is usually illegal without a license (Arizona, Alaska, and Vermont, I believe are exceptions). 

Because open carry is not common even where legal, if you want to be able to defend yourself and not simply become the first person shot at by a maniac (i.e., with no warning) you have to conceal.  And I hope you bought the biggest thing you could handle whilst being able to conceal it.

Speaking of the NRA...LOL...I just got an E-mail inviting me to a convention in TX, the featured Speaker is.....wait for it.....

Glenn Beck

LOL...Hahaha

Past Speakers include Oliver North, Rick Perry, Sarah Palin...LOL

I won't be attending. :)

I am a member of the NRA to support the defense of my 2nd Amendment Rights, the crazy crap just happens to come with the membership, I just file that part in the trash, where I think it belongs.

TWikipedia: T is the 20th letter in the ISO basic Latin alphabet.

"bellum omnium contra omnes"= War of all against all

"Helter Skelter", Manson be blessed?

Sadly, I feel the vectors to that end at times....

One American's viewpoint

"Nowhere did I say just "not help." It depends on how it affects you. So you would help someone even if it kills yourself? No you wouldn't, we all know that, because no sane person would do that for a complete stranger."

It is possible that I am picking up on the, what I see, as a rather crude us of words to reference how you would relate to a stranger, and how you would evaluate their worth. I might be mistaken very badly, maybe it is a recidual from my catholic upbringing. I watched how street people were treated in Portland while I was in school there.  I realized that I was watching a few of them decay slowly on the Park blocks over my two years, till a few were no longer there. And noticed now some of the local theists only helped, when it might mean that another 'soul' would be 'saved'. I only had a little more than these street people, but atleast I had a home to go back to. That 'watching', left me with something of a bitter taste, as a philosophy major, even a greater desire to change something, but a feeling of powerlessness. Latter I found myself passing through a similar state of being, but atleast I had a extensive support system, and never saw 'bottom'. 

Since Martin Bryant shot up Port Arthur we tightened gun laws and gun ownership especially automatic and semi automatic weapons there was a massive  buy back and gun amnesty as well .

I'm happy to say gun ownership in Australia is for sportsman and farmers for the most part ,hardly anyone has guns here it's "not the norm" , we don't need security at all at our schools because we just don't have the gun ownership going on . Love it or hate it , it works!

Obviously our gun culture is very different but from an outsider's point of view , i am touched and saddened when i read about hear about see what's going on in America with the effect Guns, Gun debates Gun issues are having on American communities I personally would hate to think my children went to school and saw armed guards as normal.... :(

I suggest you check your own crime statistics.

Also you may wish to talk to the victims of violent crime since your government's $500 million dollar forced buyback program.

The Right of Personal Defense against those who would do you harm whether an individual or a group representing a government agency has always been and will always be a Human Right.  It's one of those pesky "unalienable rights" Jefferson wrote about, I'll do what I can to keep mine thanks just the same.

Not everyone in Australia feels the same as you, not everyone in America feels the same as me.

RSS

Atheist Sites

Forum

conspiracy theories

Started by Seth Richardson in Small Talk. Last reply by Erock68la 59 minutes ago. 21 Replies

What is the Destiny of Intelligence?

Started by Roy Plisko in Philosophy. Last reply by Erock68la 1 hour ago. 63 Replies

Criticize the ideology, not the person?

Started by Erock68la in Small Talk. Last reply by Erock68la 13 hours ago. 28 Replies

6 YEARS!

Started by Dan in Announcements. Last reply by Pope Beanie 18 hours ago. 6 Replies

Blog Posts

Rounding Up?

Posted by Carol Foley on November 20, 2014 at 3:17am 2 Comments

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service