...a couple staffers had been armed?

Tags: control, gun, guns, killings, mass

Views: 8232

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

Thank you for this enlightening contribution to the conversation.

"I personally would hate to think my children went to school and saw armed guards as normal"

Yes, my "normal" has certainly shifted. I grew up in Chicago. ("Stop or I'll <bang> shoot".) Nowadays, when I go overseas, I do a minor mind-flip even to see cops carrying guns. My kids grew up with cops being unarmed. Still the case. Australian cops all carry sidearms, don't they?

@Gregg R - Oh, yes, Australians do think exactly as Peta says - certainly there ae illegal guns in Australia, where it is mainly bikies that really enjoy shooting each other. We don't have school massacres ad nauseum, or go to the movies and get shot up. It is a paranoia of Americans, where you have to protect yourself against , oh, yes other Americans. The NRA is just another religion, who survives very nicely instilling fear. America has lost it's power and kudos and is seen as just another paranoid country.

When the police sell off guns they have confiscated, what chance is there. None.

And yes, I feel sad to think there has to be a discussion on how to protect children going about their daily education, on how they should be protected. From the Australian perspective, unbelievable.

@Suzanne Olson-Hyde,

Good evening/morning/afternoon (that should cover the possibilities), I did a quick YouTube search for you, one of many hits.

I have the answer !!!!

Eventually gun violence will escalate to a point where virtually everybody gets shot at least once. Only the survivors will pass on their genes and eventually the human species will evolve and become bullet-proof, rendering guns obsolete. Do you think at that point gun lovers would still love their guns, if they lose their potency? I love target shooting with my pellet gun, but at 1000fps, it still is sorta lethal. hmmmm.

Survival of the thickest. You point out an interesting thought regarding the traits that would be passed along.

Armed security guards are probably a huge plus, but I have doubts about the schools being able to afford them. If schools had one entry point that was accessible during operating hours with armed guards and/or metal detectors, it would be a great help. When I wnt to high school there was at least 12 entry points that were unlocked during the school day; each classroom in my old elemetary school had an unlocked door right to the outside schoolyard. I think this is a mistake; anyone could have sneaked in the building undetected, as some of the doors entered into empty, unused (and unattended) hallways. Doors can be made to open from the inside but not the outside for fire safety reasons, so why have all your doors unlocked all the time when it's such a huge security risk? I don't know the details of the Connecticut school's door situation, but I think that one entry popint with a security guard would be an asset to schools, especially those in higher risk areas.

I also had an idea (surely I am not the first one to think of this) that maybe we should begin mandatory mental health screening of school age children. I mean, we screen them for vision and hearing impairment, scoliosis, lice, ect... why not mental disorders? True, it would have to be more confidential than your standard vison screening, but if we screened once in elementry, once in middle and once in high school, maybe we would catch some of these would-be sociopaths/psychotics before they enter adulthood and our society and get them the help they need before they lose their cool on some unsuspecting public service building. I know that this would not screen out everyone, but I have to believe that it would at least make a dent in the number of people who go on shooting massacres.

RSS

Forum

In Defense of ‘Islamophobia’

Started by Brian Daurelle in Society. Last reply by Erock68la 1 hour ago. 56 Replies

Awe struck

Started by Davis Goodman in Small Talk. Last reply by Unseen 1 hour ago. 41 Replies

Sunday Disassembly

Started by Reg The Fronkey Farmer in Society. Last reply by Unseen 6 hours ago. 12 Replies

where when how who why ?

Started by aubrey knows nothing * in Small Talk. Last reply by Davis Goodman 20 hours ago. 5 Replies

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service