...a couple staffers had been armed?

Tags: control, gun, guns, killings, mass

Views: 8230

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

How does an egg cross a road?

Answer #1: very carefully

Answer #2: it gets blown across by a strong wind

I think the smart money would be on the chicken then :)

Yes, 'inside' the chicken.

Can we vote for best answer somehow?

That's a winner.

So the chicken crosses first, by a nose (er...beak).

Egged on, by the competition?

Ewww... That's corny!

It rolls in a wobbly way.

You got a point there Dino, this conversation should be about;

'How do we solve our mental illness problem?'

Instead it's about ways to violate the 2nd Amendment yet again.

@Kris Feenstra

What exactly happens in Canada if I confront an intruder while I'm holding a gun and he produces a very nasty knife or Taserl and proceeds to use it? Do I need to drop my gun and kick him in the nuts?

You do not need to drop your gun. You merely need to accept the consequences of your actions which may or may not be a criminal charge (even if you killed the intruder) depending on whether you only took the steps necessary to defend yourself (not your property), or if you went beyond that and applied unreasonable force or acted as executioner.

Unfortunately, one can shoot someone and not know if one is killing him. One may even hope one is not killing him and yet it might turn out that way. For example, a well-intended shot to the leg that ruptures the femoral artery can kill someone in less than a minute.

So, I guess the best thing to do might be to close your eyes and hope you don't get killed. 

Eh?

'So, I guess the best thing to do might be to close your eyes and hope you don't get killed."

No, the law accounts for that, but really, the best thing to do is to man the fuck up, have a little conviction, and accept the consequences of your actions. It's a bad situation, sure, but it wasn't caused by the government and the government has no cause to give carte blanche to me being a trigger happy coward every time someone threatening causes me to piss my pants.

There are at least seven sections in Canadian law which cannot be summarized neatly, but here are the two most relevant regarding your concerns:

http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/acts/C-46/page-13.html#docCont

• 34. (1) Every one who is unlawfully assaulted without having provoked the assault is justified in repelling force by force if the force he uses is not intended to cause death or grievous bodily harm and is no more than is necessary to enable him to defend himself.

• Marginal note:Extent of justification

(2) Every one who is unlawfully assaulted and who causes death or grievous bodily harm in repelling the assault is justified if

• (a) he causes it under reasonable apprehension of death or grievous bodily harm from the violence with which the assault was originally made or with which the assailant pursues his purposes; and

• (b) he believes, on reasonable grounds, that he cannot otherwise preserve himself from death or grievous bodily harm.

41. (2) A trespasser who resists an attempt by a person who is in peaceable possession of a dwelling-house or real property, or a person lawfully assisting him or acting under his authority to prevent his entry or to remove him, shall be deemed to commit an assault without justification or provocation.

RSS

Forum

The Shinto Flower among the Weeds of Religion

Started by Cato Rigas in Advice. Last reply by Belle Rose 3 hours ago. 3 Replies

Awe struck

Started by Davis Goodman in Small Talk. Last reply by Unseen 14 hours ago. 15 Replies

"I'm Christian and I vote."

Started by Ed in Small Talk. Last reply by James Cox 14 hours ago. 40 Replies

Blog Posts

Life Condensed

Posted by Cato Rigas on October 19, 2014 at 8:30pm 1 Comment

Cool Vehicle Inspection!

Posted by Ed on October 18, 2014 at 9:03am 2 Comments

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service