...a couple staffers had been armed?

Tags: control, gun, guns, killings, mass

Views: 8036

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

I have been giving this a lot of thought and I am beginning to see the light at the end of the tunnel.

This question of whether to have all schools as Gun Free Zones or having some type of armed security is answerable.

I now know who should be making this decision...the parents.

It just is not a decision for those who don't have children in schools, the right to decide this question belongs to those with the most to lose, not to the rest of us no matter what side of the issue we are on.

Let the parents decide.  The rest of us can do our part by making sure the leaders we elect make it happen.

The parents of those children are the ones taking the risk, it will be their lives that will be shattered, it is their choice not ours.

Hey, if the parents with children in the schools in my region wanted to pay for it out of pocket, sure thing. That's between them and the school admin. Mind you, I'm in a different region, but similar principles apply to our public education system.

I think while the general public is willing to entrust their children in school to luck, the kids in many of the private schools probably do have armed protection. I guess those rich people are just dumb.

Again, it is a question of the priority of investments. When you have the money, you can buy the luxury items. When you don't, you have to be more pragmatic with resources. Public schools are a social investment. The students will be the workforce of the future. Public school administrators are accountable to that, and to the students as human beings, and to some extent to the parents as parents. If they decide to invest in security, it should be on the basis of making a good investment with limited resources and not the whims of parents.

Let me see if I have this correct, I as a local property owner thru forced taxation must pay for the waste and salaries of an educational system that isn't very good at the educational part, but the parents must pay out of pocket for the security of that system.

Damn, you are one fine American.

You can get a rather good education, if you can get off the common lesson plan and do some self study, I did this as much as I could for HS.

As the demands on public education increase, I expect that it will, in time, become nearly impossible to teach or study. If the religious right get a bigger foot hold, we will be lucky to have public school health classes, an even marginal science program, and a reduction in library books. The future of middle class students eaten up by the outside costs for security and ideology. Many will see this collapse as an expression of  'Good Americans'.  

Good for you James, my daughter had to do the same, earned her PhD by the time she was 27.

If you really want to see how bad the public education system is, go online and see where America places compared to the rest of the world in graduating 12th graders. :(

No, that is not correct. The allocation of public funds should not be subject to the dictations of parents who have no relevant credentials; however, if private funds are used, then the public funds argument is irrelevant.

If parents want guards in schools paid for with public funds, then they should appeal to education administrators in the same fashion they normally would.

How much money does it require to take down a sign that says "Gun Free Zone".  How much money does it require to allow qualified CCW holders to exercise that right at their place of work.

I was ambiguous the first time, but I specified 'guards' the second time. That is what I was referring to.

Sadly, that sad day may be here. It's sad.

It will be a Sadder Day once we force all the law abiding citizens to turn in their weapons.

Washington D.C. had the strictest gun control laws in our country, they also had the highest murder by gun rate in the nation.  Until the law abiding citizens got their right to Keep and Bear Arms back. Go figure.

RSS

Support T|A

Think Atheist is 100% member supported

All proceeds go to keeping Think Atheist online.

Donate with Dogecoin

Members

Forum

Things you hate.

Started by Devlin Cuite in Small Talk. Last reply by Unseen 8 minutes ago. 171 Replies

Blog Posts

Seeing the man in the child.

Posted by Diane on April 19, 2014 at 9:52am 0 Comments

Videos

• Add Videos

Services we love

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Into life hacks? Check out LabMinions.com

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

© 2014   Created by Dan.