...a couple staffers had been armed?

Tags: control, gun, guns, killings, mass

Views: 8202

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

OK..so for thousands of year people had rights !!!

I wish they knew...

Huh??? America 1776.

We only been around for a couple of hundred years.

It most certainly is a motivation. But if we are applying reason here, how many of those security blanket guns get stolen and end up in the wrong hands with the end result being innocent dead people?

I hardly find the illusion of safety felt by one person after their head has been filled with fear driving their decisions, which has to account for a large number of casual gun owners, as sufficient enough justification for the resulting deaths that hundreds if not thousands of those misplaced, lost, or stolen guns have caused.

It most certainly is a motivation. But if we are applying reason here, how many of those security blanket guns get stolen and end up in the wrong hands with the end result being innocent dead people?

I hardly find the illusion of safety felt by one person after their head has been filled with fear driving their decisions, which has to account for a large number of casual gun owners, as sufficient enough justification for the resulting deaths that hundreds if not thousands of those misplaced, lost, or stolen guns have caused.

And while you're at it, make it illegal to keep any other valuables, because who knows how much of that booty, stolen by burglars, muggers. guys who break into cars, etc., ends up paying for illegal guns.

@ RobertPiano

Why did you feel the need to skew your numbers?

You first number compares deaths per 1,000,000 and then you compare total deaths per nation state (ie. America to Australia) without accounting for the different population size (ie. 311 million to 22 million)

If Australia had the same population as America

the total deaths for Australia would be: 3237.

America total death:  12,996

Australia total death:  3,237

There you go.

I'm here to help. :)

So I'm just an engineer, Thanks for your help, but I can do a bit of math....So Just for grins...let us look at this:

Population of Australia =22,620,600. Gun deaths = 229

so..22,620,600/100,000=226.206 rate per 100K

229/226 = 1.01 = 1.0 as stated  vs  4.2 per 100K US...

ahhhh.. what seems to be the problem here?

Looks like 4.2 times as many Americans are killed by guns as Australians.....geez what a surprise !!!

Dude..it's not rocket science !

"So I'm just an engineer..."

WOW, and make a population density mistake like that, oh well at least it's not rocket science.

Uh you haven't engineered anything that could hurt people when it breaks have you?

:) Just kidding, I'm sure they just have you designing door knobs right now while you finish your training and move up to locks. :)

@ RobertPiano

BTW for the sake of clarity ALL homicides are considered "justified" by the survivor.

Justified by LAW...yeah, a murderer never lies...we all know that !

Really?

Hysteria just won't help us solve problems.

The societal problem of mass killings is not easily corrected. The city of Chicago faces about 300 murders of inner city children each year. It doesn't grab the headlines like killing en mass. Too many people, myself included, are unwilling to relinquish possession of our firearms. And to actually round up the hundreds of millions of weapons floating about is not a practical undertaking. The concern for me is that we have as a society exhibited fundamental problems that people are not willing to confront: parents who allow their children to become obese and contract diabetes; throwing First Person Shooter games at them to get them out of their hair for awhile; the non-stop barrage of Hollywood 'kill or be killed' action thrillers; the use of drugs because every other kid is somehow ADD. We've become totally desensitized to humans dying tragically. It is an aspect of American society that we are reluctantly resigned to accept. If you have to 'pack heat' to intermix in your community and feel safe and secure while doing so what does that say about our American way of life? 

If we are not willing to give up our ability to purchase and own any and all classifications of weaponry and ammunition does that mean we consider these incidents of mass killings as mere collateral damage in upholding our inalienable 2nd amendment rights? Does the average Joe citizen really have a need to own and use a weapon designed solely to kill quickly, and in mass, other humans as in a military environment? Where do we draw the line as to what constitutes unreasonable expectation of ownership? Grenade launchers, heat seeking missiles, tanks?  

My willingness to place restrictions on the ability to procure military oriented weaponry does not prevent me from enjoying the freedoms of our 2nd amendment. The previous 10 year ban on assault weapons did not result or escalate into further erosion of my rights as a gun owner. My gun cabinet remained just as full as before the legislation was enacted. If we're unwilling to make even the smallest concessions in this regard then we all, collectively, seem to have some innocent blood on our hands. Banning assault style weaponry would remove 1.7% of the available plethora of firearms from store shelves. One point seven percent. 

In Salem(Oregon), there is a guy that operates a signage operation that has a small tank parked in a garage out front of his business. I have seen the tank driving around a few times, but so far not parked and aimed at the capital.

A few times, while garage saling with my wife or friends, I have seen assault rifles in boxes marked 'for sale'. I noticed the young kids uh & awe over the guns...

RSS

Blog Posts

Invictus

Posted by Marinda on September 11, 2014 at 4:08pm 0 Comments

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service