...a couple staffers had been armed?

Tags: control, gun, guns, killings, mass

Views: 8266

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

"There ya go"

Just showing typical Blain Leavitt respect for your RoboCop solution --

The root cause of these shootings is exclusion. These murders are retaliation for alienation. This is beyond a cry for help. This is about ending it now and making a point while doing it. Arming-up to lessen the severity of these incidents may seem like a viable solution, however it would probably end up causing even more feelings of alienation. The suburbs don't have front porches. They have manicured lawns, keep off the grass. Old folk are put away. We would have to redesign our way of life. Guns can never solve this.

"Solution" isn't a word to be used here. "Solution" implies "no more problem." Rather we need to deal with the world of the possible and with what will significantly increase security and survivability for the highest number for the time being. If gun control, gun confiscation, etc., finally do come, they will take decades to become very effective. What to do in the meantime or in case gun control doesn't happen is the question.

I used to live in a suburb. I could shake hands with my backyard neighbor over the shadowbox fence. To drive to the front of his house I would have to leave my gated "community" (didn't know anybody,btw), drive out onto a big highway, then onto the freeway, exit to another highway, and then into another gated "community". Took about half an hour. We are isolated to our bedrooms and cars. Don't actually look at anyone. Can't even walk anywhere, it's too dangerous. Gee, I wonder why people loose it?

Then for vacation we go to a fake town at a theme park just to dream, or some European town designed long ago so people can actually interact and learn how to be social and feel like they really are part of a community.

Texas is considering this idea for some rural schools because police response times are much longer. Teachers would receive a small bump in pay to get trained and certified in shooting and gun safety, keep a weapon secure but available, and be prepared to use it in the case of an incident. I don't remember if the Guardian Plan as they call it includes psychological testing, but of course it should. 

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/12/18/stop-school-shootings-by-letti...

RE: "I don't remember if the Guardian Plan as they call it includes psychological testing, but of course it should" - in Texas, Henry, psychological testing should also be a requirement to run for public office, but sadly it isn't. If it were, what would Rick Perry do for a living?

However, it IS a requirement in the State Constitution, that no atheist may run for public office!

"Insanity is believing your hallucinations are real.
Religion is believing that other peoples' hallucinations are real."
-- Dan Barker --

They should consider psychological testing for Texas voters. LOL

Why just the Texas voters?  This country has elected some real prizes to the highest office for decades.

I won't mention any names I'm sure everyone has their own favorite.

However we ALL do live in America where every lowbrow and highbrow has a vote.

I just look for ways to survive while swimming in the sea of CRAZY.

I think there is some crazy, but I think there are a few too many sharks, nasty jellyfish, filter feeders, and social predators.   

"...what would Rick Perry do for a living?"

In a word 'Minister'..

Sounds like a fitting punishment.

RSS

Forum

East German Shame

Started by Davis Goodman in Law, Trials, and Decisions. Last reply by Davis Goodman 2 minutes ago. 14 Replies

The Elephant in the Room...

Started by Belle Rose in Small Talk. Last reply by Kairan Nierde 4 minutes ago. 10 Replies

Why do we tolerate this?

Started by Belle Rose in Crime and Punishment. Last reply by Tom Sarbeck 22 minutes ago. 26 Replies

Ear-piercing a baby

Started by Simon Mathews in Atheist Parenting. Last reply by Unseen 43 minutes ago. 27 Replies

Blog Posts

How did that happen?

Posted by Belle Rose on December 19, 2014 at 4:36am 6 Comments

Pabst Blue Ribbon to the rescue!

Posted by Ed on December 15, 2014 at 9:33pm 0 Comments

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service