...a couple staffers had been armed?

Tags: control, gun, guns, killings, mass

Views: 8182

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

can be changed easily to auto

Bullshit.

It's apparently a very complex task, one for someone who is a trained machinist with his tools; the most likely result of an amateur doing it is it slamfires once and becomes a club.  http://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=6&f=17&t=367316  It certainly isn't just "file down a part."

I figure that 'guns' are just one expression of a 'tool' for the all too human tendency to cruelity, violence, and control.

Once, when I was much younger, a babysitter taped my mouth shut, because I was just playing. Since then, I have become deeply aware of the ways to 'tape one's mouth shut'.   

Sorry, guns are DIFFERENT. You don't have to struggle. You don't have to test your strength against your opponent. You don't have to think - even for one second. You don't even have to get blood on you. You can just stand across the room or across the street and pull a trigger. You don't even have watch them die. Just turn around and walk away.

Mass murder (assuming a single, deranged individual) would be virtually impossible without guns. People would run away. People COULD fight back. Banning assault rifles and large magazines is just window dressing. I'm guessing that the vast majority of mass murders using assault rifles could just as well have been committed by someone with a single pistol and a pocket full of bullets were it not for the perpetrator's "gun disease".

Employing the same hyperbole as Charlton Heston, guns, even hunting rifles, should, indeed, be pried out of the cold dead hands of those who think guns are a good and necessary part of a sane society.

Sadly, I expect that as technology and knowledge improves, the nutjobs, might have access to 'bedlam in a box' technologies. I expect that 'peace in a box' technologies will fall behind that the latter variety...;p(. Of course at some point, depending upon your personal spin, 'Bedlam can equal Peace'. I hope to not be anywhere near if that ever happens.... 

And as blindly pro-gun as NRA members are, I can understand that they don't want their guns under government control because, I'm fairly sure, very little murder and mayhem are committed by NRA members. They, quite rightly, don't see themselves as part of the gun crime problem. How much gun crime is committed by NRA "good old boys"? Got any stats on that?

Why don't you talk to the drug gangs or the disaffected teen boys about guns?

I'm with you on everything else but the NRA is basically a fucking mafia. The only reason they don't want anything banned is because it'll hurt sales, therefore bribes. I admire their arrogance and blatant mockery of human intelligence though. They have an agenda that could make Satan cum twice in a row. They could easily be the villains of the next James Bond movie.

Someone got killed? I got it! You need more guns. Buy more guns and arm the schools. We'll call it the S.H.I.E.L.D. project! Hell we'll even hire Samuel L. Jackson and give him a floating castle, just to make it even goofier!

As a member of the NRA I find some of the rhetoric that spews out of old Wayne's mouth makes me cringe.  But then again that's not why I'm a member.  I am also a member of the GOA.  I also write letters to Congressmen and Senators and Governors.

I do this to protect my human rights to freedom and liberty.  I'm also a big fan of self determination.

I, nor anyone I know condones killing the innocent.

Gun rampages occur everywhere. Shooting ranges, parking lots, movie theaters, bedrooms, police stations, military bases, schools, moving cars......About 30 people are killed by others every day in the US. It would be higher if our trauma centers were not so skilled. They get a lot of practice.

In 2011, the latest figure available from the Centers for Disease Control,

Accidental discharge 851
Suicide 19,766
Homicide 11,101
Undetermined Intent 222

Total: At least 31940 people died from gun injuries in 2011.

Gun-related death rates in the United States are eight times higher than they are in countries that are economically and politically similar to it; however, most countries similar to the United States have a more secure social network. Higher gun-related death rates can be found in developing countries and countries with political instability.[29][33][34] However, developed countries with strict gun laws have essentially eliminated gun violence.[35][36][37][38] 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_violence_in_the_United_States

WHY you might ask?

The estimated total number of guns held by civilians in the United States is 270,000,000. In a comparison of the rate of private gun ownership in 179 countries, the United States ranked at No. 1.

http://www.gunpolicy.org/firearms/region/united-states

Really, It's not rocket science. Take a stressed-out, undisciplined population, give almost everyone a gun, and people will get shot. Lots of them.

I see that about twice as many guns are used in suicide as in homicide. Those deaths are likely to simply slip into another category. People who overdose on drugs+alcohol, people who jump off bridges, people who throw themselves in front of trains, etc.

I have an idea: let's ban bridges and trains!

The stats on gun possession I've seen are all below 50%. How do you get to "almost everyone" having a gun?

An interesting statistic (and an unavailable one) is how many gun homicides would simply become homicides in another category. Beatings, stranglings, house fires, poisonings, etc. If the goal is simply to stop gun deaths and not to discuss deaths per se, what is the point?

@ Dale Headley ,

Could you add just a little more vitriol to that and maybe stomp your feet.

Also I prefer to be called a Gun Monkey as opposed to Gun Nut, I find it a bit more charming (you are tying to charm us, aren't you?).

What was the excuse for not just setting up more metal detectors and security in the schools again?

How much of a joke is that? I know you're not actually complaining about the scenery and the TSA when dead kids are the alternative.

RSS

Blog Posts

Breaking Free

Posted by A. T. Heist on August 20, 2014 at 9:56am 3 Comments

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service