...a couple staffers had been armed?

Tags: control, gun, guns, killings, mass

Views: 8184

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

Yes, but that isn't the stupid(est) part.

The exceptions are a husband and wife (no mention of same-sex spouses though it is likely implied), and persons over the age of eighteen, both of whom consent.

So, the silly bit is that the age of consent is sixteen, (could be younger, but there are statutory rape conditions concerning the difference in age). So, if one or more of two partners is sixteen or seventeen, they can legally have sex, but not anal sex unless they are hetero married (possibly homo, not sure).

This is what happens when laws are a clusterfuck of old and new, I think. I don't believe anyone ever has or will be convicted of this "crime" in my lifetime, but they really should clean up the criminal code to reduce some of these wtf? sections.

@Gregg - Kris was posting the law of Canada, not a set of rules for a fight. 

The laws, I believe, are the same in the UK - we have quite a lot of grey area surrounding what constitutes justifiable, as each case is different.  The purpose of the law is to allow for self-defense but eliminate retaliation.  As such, the law itself takes a very cautious attitude to killing.

@Strega - Laws aren't Rules?  When did that happen? 

Hypothetical;

Rapist to victim "Why are you struggling so much, this is only a level 1 rape, you're acting like it's a level 3, settle the fuck down or I'll beat your face in!"

Laws and Rules whether Criminal, Civil or Biblical don't change human behavior, fear of the consequences does.  Laws designed to make a victim second guess their defensive choice are bad rules.

If I were to be woken in the middle of the night only to find a man naked from the waist down on top of one of my children, I wouldn't be looking for the rule book.

:)Wikipedia: An emoticon that means happy.

what is a level one rape?

Please see your own post above.

I've read my own post and it does not say "level 1 rape" anywhere. It says "level 1 sexual assault" and "sexual assault level 1". "Rape" and "sexual assault" are not interchangeable as one encompasses the other.

The majority of sexual offences in Canada are of a less severe nature. Victimization data indicate that most sexual assaults involved unwanted sexual touching (81%) rather than more severe sexual attacks (19%). Among the incidents that came to the attention of police in 2007, the large majority (86%) were level 1, the least serious form of sexual assault.

When asked why they did not tell the police about the sexual assault, a majority of victims (58%) said that they did not report the incident because it was not important enough.

Yes,it is bad when someone gropes someone else without consent, or if an adult asks a fifteen-year-old to touch his penis, but it is not rape, even if it falls within the definition of sexual assault.

Something like DEFCON-1, "Possible attack, alert all bombers to scramble", or 'take defensive stance, make pepper spray ready for deployment and remove safety'.

@Gregg 

Laws aren't Rules? When did that happen?

Are you really asking me what the difference is between a Law and a Rule?  I don't think you are, but just in case, I don't think you can go to prison for breaking a rule.

Rapist to victim "Why are you struggling so much, this is only a level 1 rape, you're acting like it's a level 3, settle the fuck down or I'll beat your face in!"

What has this got to do with Laws and Rules?  This is not a realistic scenario, and I do not know what purpose it is serving here.

Laws and Rules whether Criminal, Civil or Biblical don't change human behavior, fear of the consequences does.  Laws designed to make a victim second guess their defensive choice are bad rules.

Why stop at Laws and Rules?.  In this instance there are also Instructions, Commands, Directives, Orders, Regulations, and a whole host more. Any 'externally directed formal obligation' that is imposed cannot automatically guarantee fitting every unique situation.  This is one argument for having the Judiciary to interpret the meaning behind the Law when a specific circumstance arises.  I agree some Laws are vacuous - see Kris's comments regarding the Canadian Law against anal intercourse for example. Unbelievable!

If I were to be woken in the middle of the night only to find a man naked from the waist down on top of one of my children, I wouldn't be looking for the rule book.

Me neither - so it is a good thing we have a Judiciary system whereby "reasonableness" in terms of your (and my) imagined reaction to such a situation, can be accommodated.

I don't think we are taking a contrary position here, Gregg.  I just wanted to point out that where Kris was quoting Canadian Law, he was not holding it up as a paradigm of excellence, but demonstrating how his country has legislated on this kind of issue. 

I think we are all in agreement that "Bad" is "Bad", but we are trying to find a way to consider resolving a particular kind of "Bad" in a particular country with particular Laws, by perhaps drawing on ideas from other countries who would appear not to have a proliferation of the kind of "Bad" we are discussing.

I just wanted to point out that where Kris was quoting Canadian Law, he was not holding it up as a paradigm of excellence, but demonstrating how his country has legislated on this kind of issue. 

Yes, and the specific relevance in this case is that this is the basis of the statistics being cited. It does make me smile when in the same post I am informed both that my life must be sheltered from violence, and also that my country is twice as dangerous where assaults are concerned than that of the speaker.

However, it also saddens me that this speaker seems to have no meaningful understanding of the subject matter at hand. It saddens me to the point that I am even willing to do a bit of the leg work on linking to the appropriate resources in hopes that the speaker might actually seek to deepen their understanding.

A murder is a murder no matter where in the world it occurs, an assault is an assault and a rape is a rape, etc.

This is America, not Canada, not the UK, it is unique with it's own set of problems.  Trading one type of violent crime for another is not a solution to the "Bad", it is just moving the deck chairs on the Titanic.

Our problems stem for poverty and lack of adequate healthcare, if the politicians would focus on that, we wouldn't need to have this conversation.

For the time being I'll keep my guns and the Freedom to resist those who would take it.

FWikipedia: F is the sixth letter in the ISO basic Latin alphabet.

"an assault is an assault and a rape is a rape,"

However, when you want to compare two nations using their own statistics, you have to use the definitions of those respective nations in the statistics being cited. You chose to compare two nations, yet it is abundantly clear that you do not understand the statistic you, yourself are citing. Instead of comparing apples to apples, you are comparing apples to the entire fruit stand.

Actually it might be more like:

A) Do intelligence gathering about your target. 

B) Find weaknesses in target setting and context.

C) Determine strenght of posible opposition. 

C) Determine plan of attack.

D) Determine effective tools and weapons or target neutralization.

E) Determine exit options for post action extraction.

F)) Take a tactical position near your target.

G) Exicute plan.

H) Pick up pieces of you life should you have any.

Notice that a deep moral or ethical evaluation need not be of concern....;p(.

RSS

Blog Posts

The tale of the twelve officers

Posted by Davis Goodman on August 27, 2014 at 3:04am 0 Comments

Birthday Present

Posted by Caila Rowe on August 26, 2014 at 1:29am 3 Comments

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service