...a couple staffers had been armed?

Tags: control, gun, guns, killings, mass

Views: 8175

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

No wonder Canada calls their money "Loonie".

:)

We have rules for gunfights too:

Rule number 1:

There are no rules in a gunfight.

Oh wait, there is one rule...Survive.

Rules for gunfights?

@ Kris have you always lived in a sheltered safe violence-free environment?

Kris you have obviously never been in a fight where someone else is trying to fuck you up, otherwise you would realize how ridiculous those rules are.

Twice as many people as a percentage of population assaulted in Canada as America, I now know why.

Care to substantiate?

(I)n 2003, the violent crime rate in the United States was 475 per 100,000 people; while up north, there were 963 violent crimes per 100,000 people. The figure for sexual assault in Canada per 100,000 people was more than double that of the United States: 74 as opposed to 32.1; and the assault rate in Canada was also more than twice that of the states: 746 to America's 295 for the people. (source)

I found this and a couple other articles seeming to show that while the homicide rate is much lower in Canada, the assault rate and rate of rapes was considerably higher in "peaceful" Canada.

Problematically, our definition for level one assault is pretty liberal. 

source for the following: http://www.statcan.gc.ca/pub/85-002-x/2009004/article/10930-eng.htm

In general, incidents of assault are classified by police into one of three categories. Level 1 assaults are the most common and refer to assaults that cause little to no physical harm to victims.

source for the following: http://www.statcan.gc.ca/pub/85-002-x/2011001/article/11523-eng.htm

Using 2004, the figure of level 2 and 3 assaults comes in at roughly 160 per 100,000 people for 2004.

But let's stick with the highest figure including level 1 assault. After all, perhaps the American statistics have a similar issue with the legal definition of assault. The claim I would most like explained in greater depth is that Gregg knows why that figure is high based on the information he has been provided. I'd like to hear the logic.

To be clear, I do get what was implied, but I don't want to assume too deeply.

Well, when you have an inclusive definition of assault, that is what a Canadian considers assault, and one has to live with the statistics. Equally loose on rape stats in Canada? Does trying to grab a goodnight kiss without asking permission first constitute rape up there?

@Unseen

Comparing Canadian reported violent crimes with US reported violent crimes is an interesting exercise, but there are two considerations that would potentially skew the resulting comparison.

One is that the people in the USA who shot someone (gun crime) are still a criminal element.  There is a real possibility that without access to guns they may have carried out other violent crimes and thus appeared in the US statistic for those.

The other is that the figures for sexual assault or domestic assault are those reported; the culture surrounding, or mechanism for reporting may be completely different.  We know that many of these assaults are not reported (I could probably wiki some data if it were necessary) but we don't know how many.

I'm not refuting the result of that article, I'm just pointing out the potentially statistic-affecting other differences which we would need to make some attempt at factoring in, in order to get a more realistic view. 

So, do Canadians tend to report events as rape that would just constitute being a little forward in the U.S.?

There is a similar issue where the bulk of sexual assault stats are comprised of level 1 sexual assault. Personally, I have my concerns regarding the broad scope of these level 1 categories.

Stats Canada surveyed with this line of inquiry: (http://www.statcan.gc.ca/pub/85f0033m/85f0033m2008019-eng.htm)

During the past 12 months, has anyone forced you or attempted to force you into any unwanted sexual activity, by threatening you, holding you down or hurting you in some way?

The levels are defined as such.

Sexual assault level 1 (s.271): An assault committed in circumstances of a sexual nature such that the sexual integrity of the victim is violated. Level 1 involves minor physical injuries or no injuries to the victim.
Sexual assault level 2 (s.272): Sexual assault with a weapon, threats, or causing bodily harm. 
Aggravated sexual assault (level 3): Sexual assault that results in wounding, maiming, disfiguring or endangering the life of the victim.
Other sexual offences: A group of offences that are meant to primarily address incidents of sexual abuse directed at children. The Criminal Code offences included in this category are: Sexual interference (s.151), Invitation to sexual touching (s.152), Sexual exploitation (s.153), Incest (s.155), Anal intercourse (s.159), and Bestiality (s.160).

You have a law against anal intercourse?

RSS

Services we love

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by Dan.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service