...a couple staffers had been armed?

Tags: control, gun, guns, killings, mass

Views: 8185

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

Former Arkansas governor and GOP presidential candidate Mike Huckabee attributed today’s deadly massacre in an elementary school in Newtown, Connecticut to the lack of God and religion in public schools.

Addressing the tragedy on Fox News, Huckabee dismissed calls for stricter gun control and claimed that future violence can be prevented by solving matters of “the heart” and turning to God:

HUCKABEE: Ultimately, you can take away every gun in America and somebody will use a bomb. When somebody has an intent to do incredible damage, they’re going to find a way to do it… People will want to pass new laws, but unless you change people’s hearts, they’re our transition to the pastor side. This is a heart issue, it’s not something, laws don’t change this kind of thing.

NEIL CAVUTO (HOST): You know, inevitably people ask after tragedies like this, how could God let this happen?

HUCKABEE: Well, you know, it’s an interesting thing. We ask why there is violence in our schools, but we’ve systematically removed God from our schools. Should we be so surprised that schools would become a place of carnage because we’ve made it a palce where we don’t want to talk about eternity, life, what responsibility means, accountability? That we’re not just going to have to be accountable to the police, if they catch us. But one day, we will stand before a Holy God in judgment. If we don’t believe that, then we don’t fear that.

Huckabee is your stereotypical fundamentalist idiot....

That's my point, Ed - notice how quickly these Bible-thumpers were to use the deaths of those sweet, innocent children to promote their agenda. I would love to see the uproar at a football game if a Hindu got up and offered a prayer to Vishnu. He means he wants prayer to HIS god and to hell with anyone else's fairy tale.

Oh, and your phrase, "fundamentalist idiot" is redundant - then again, maybe not, while all fundamentalists are undeniably idiots, not all idiots are fundamentalists --

I gotta say, you looked better with a beard.

Though he's wrong to entangle religion with it, he does have a point.

As long as there are people this disturbed there will be senseless violence, and it wouldn't matter if you could magically make every gun in the world disappear.

So, are there that many more disturbed people in the United States? If so, what's the cause? Can't it just be that we're more violent as a people?

If so, what's the cause?

That question will probably never be answered. Not as long as people whine about banning guns and whatnot, and ignore the real issue. Where there is a will, there is a way. You wanna kill someone, you gonna kill em. Doesn't matter how. If you can't find a gun to infiltrate a school and kill people, you'll find a way to do it with a fucking slingshot and a dildo. Humans are creative when it comes to harming each other. It's beyond fucking naive to think that banning anything is going to stop people.

What about the actual cause though? What pissed this guy off so much he killed his own mom and a bunch of kids? No, it's not the violent video games. It's the fucking system that breeds these people.

Humanity is dim, uncomprehending and docile, thus easy to control. Every now and then though freaks of nature will wake up from the matrix and snap. Granted their anger could be directed towards something more useful, like killing people we all hate (people who drive slow, cops, the phelps family). But I don't think they're any more disturbed than a pissed off bull in a bullfighting ring. They get sprayed in the face beforehand with pepperspray, and stabbed in the back. They get mocked and tortured for the amusement of a bunch of retards. But just sometimes they manage to get a clear shot. And when they do, they don't hesitate to use their horns to rip a couple of new assholes into the first person they see.

Or maybe he just had a screw loose.

How convenient. Just like people who suffer from homosexuality?

I'm sorry to appear so dumb, but what is your point?

I'm dumber so it's hard for me to explain, but I'll try. What I just meant is that simply labeling these people as lunatics and psychopaths is facile.

And that in turn made me think of of clergy/homophobes like to call homosexuality a sickness instead of dealing with the issue.

Shouldn't we really care more about why these people snap instead of how (gun control topic). And if we ask why, shouldn't we have a better answer than "he was just nuts" ?

I agree that dealing with the underlying issue would be more useful and important, but i don't understand why most  people think this needs to be an either or position. Either we ban guns or we deal with the underlying problem. surely it will be more effective to do both.

Now i know the familiar argument that it is not guns that kill people it is people who kill people. But this completely ignores the psychological aspect of having a gun on you. Simply having a gun on you gives a lot of people an overwhelming sense of power and confidence, which is not something you typically want your average mass murderer to have. You will find that in nearly every single case of mass murder like this in America it is the quite people who crack and go on such a rampage. They are very often the ones who have been made to feel powerless and outcasts through bullying or being shunned and what not. Then when you take such a person and give them access to guns, which makes them feel powerful and confident, you have a perfect recipe for such a disaster. Now i know it can also be argued that if they want to kill they ca do it with a knife or baseball bat but those sort of things do not have the same psychological effect, or atleast not to such a high degree , as a gun. They are also nowhere near as effective at killing masses of people. The expression " bringing a knife to  a gun fight" is a cliche for a reason.
There is also that the same argument as " it is not guns that kill people ......" can be made for anything else like grenades, plastic explosives, scud missiles, sarin gas etc etc. Do you really think it would be a good idea to legalize all those and make them as easy to get as a gun in America. Because the basic fact remains that ,no matter how good of a job we do to treat the underlying cause of these sort of attacks, there will always be people who fall through the cracks and suffer a psychotic break that will entice them to do this sort of thing. And when that happens is it not a good idea to try and ensure that they wont have easy access to guns or explosives ? I dont know about you but if i was in the situation where someone cracked and decided to kill every one he could i would much rather he was armed with a knife or baseball bat than a variety of guns. There is also the likely hood that without access to guns and the psychological aspects they bring that this type of behavior would be somewhat less common.

Homosexuality. Illness or choice? They can't make up their mind, it seems.

I'm not sure "Why was he nuts?" is much better than "He was just nuts," because both are in the past tense.

We are largely powerless to intervene until someone actually does something.

RSS

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service