...a couple staffers had been armed?

Tags: control, gun, guns, killings, mass

Views: 8182

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

This is due to the way all our brains are wired. We tend to take far more notice of the actions of a living being, like this shooter, than a impersonal event like climate warming. Now this is something we are all guilty of to some degree, even you unseen. I remember a little while back you where passionately arguing how American pitbulls should all be banned even though they cause an order of magnitude less problems on the scale you use to dismiss this  as almost a non problem.

The sad reality is that in a country of 350 million citizens a few of us are going to have mental problems that either go unnoticed or unheeded. As a society we cannot plan for or prevent calculated assassinations by someone mentally unstable. An individual hell bent on killing innocent people, for whatever irrational reason, cannot necessarily be detected before the deed is done.

We cannot make our schools into fortresses that reinforce fear into our children, nor can we rip guns from the hands of law abiding citizens. And I really don't see a practical way to interview our entire population and assess the state of their mental health. 

The father of the perpetrator should request a brain scan of his son. Perhaps something will be discovered that was physiologically at the root of the matter. 

Why is no one asking: Why do these school shootings almost invariably happen in middle-class and upper crust schools, not in black or Hispanic neighborhoods. One thing people in those minorities DON'T need to worry about apparently.

That is a damned good question.

The only suggestion I've even heard in regards to that comes across to me as so conspiracy theory kooky I won't dignify it with a repetition.

A lot of people say we should look for signs and act on them, but be realistic about it: If archaeopteryx said "I could just kill a bunch of Christians!," what would YOU do...?

After other school shootings, it turned out there were signs, but nobody acted. Why? Our usually commendable tolerance for weirdness, or to think "He is just joking; he'd never do it." And usually they don't. 

Too bad we don't have Minority Report technology yet.

The thing is that these kind of people don't usually make enough noise to be heard. It's always the quiet ones.

This guy was described as a "nice polite kid who always kept to himself."

"We had no idea he of all people would do this" etc.

You get the idea.

You never hear people say "Ya I knew it was him, he's the loud mouthed fucker that always bullied everyone back in school, he'd never shut up during class or on the bus. I knew he'd snap one day!"

I could just kill a bunch of Christians!

Go ahead. You have my blessings.

I see. It's the quietly normal people we should suspect most of all.

Just give them some equal consideration maybe. And I believe this is also related to the cause itself. People will blame everything now. For the billionth time: guns, violent video games/music/movies, godlesness...

The parents will be pissed off demanding all sorts of shit to be banned.

But none of them will say "Yeah my kid jason bullied that adam kid in school, so it's kind of our fault too."

In loco parentis has been degraded to the point where teachers' and schools' hands are tied much more than they used to be, and if they do exert authority, watch out!

Reign of Terror. So terrible?

Gacy.

Right!  Instead of getting guns out of the hands of unstable people and criminals, let's put security guards, metal detectors, and armed teachers in all the schools.  Having been a teacher for 36 years, I can assure you that the LAST thing I would want to see is a firearm being toted by some of the psycho teachers I've known.  What makes anyone think that a teacher is any less likely to go bonkers than a kid who, by all reports, was intelligent and unaggressive?  I guarantee you, if all the teachers were armed, the result would be many more reports of this kind, only perpetrated by some frustrated, angry teacher; and there's no shortage of THOSE!  Most states have enacted laws to take paddles out of the hands of vengeful teachers, largely because of the mental and emotional instability of some of them; now we're going to replace the paddles with guns?  In short, the more guns that are easily available, the more psycho killers will have them, and use them.  And that includes unbalanced teachers.  

Seriously, though, this is a straw man argument.  Even if a case could be made that this killer MIGHT have been brought down before he killed all those children, which is highly doubtful, it is NOT an argument for not having the same kind of sensible gun laws that civilized nations use to keep their gun deaths down to levels far, far, FAR lower than our insane, gun-sucking, cowboy wannabe nation willingly and shamefully endures.  And they DON'T do it by arming their teachers and fortifying their schools.

Bottom line: the main reason for America exceeding the handgun mortality rates of all the rest of the world combined is that, for every bullet that killed one of those children at Sandy Hook Elementary, there are a few more cents change in the pockets of the millionaire gun & ammo manufacturers and retailers who exploit the gun nuts who imagine themselves to be "Dirty Harry" or Charles Bronson.  NO AMOUNT of deaths among children will get these merchants of death to give up a penny of profit.

Finally, there is the NRA - The "National Rampage Association," as Bob Shrum calls it - which is the largest, most homicidal, most evil, criminal organization in American history.  They fight hard to prevent any laws requiring background checks at gun shows.  Why?  In order to expand their customer base, including gang bangers and serial killers; hey, profit is profit, and America is all about profit.  They also fought hard to make "cop killer" ammunition legal.  And what are "cop killer" bullets?  They are exactly what they say they are: bullets designed for the sole purpose of penetrating the protective vests of policemen.  Even the Mafia didn't do that. The vile NRA exists for ONE purpose and one purpose ONLY, to enrich the weapons and ammunition industry.  At least the Mafia killed their own, not helpless little children. 

"Right!  Instead of getting guns out of the hands of unstable people and criminals..." 

So, it's as simple as rounding up all the schizophrenics, bipolars, weirdos, and people who seem hostile. Let's just declare them non-Americans so they have no rights. Oh, I forgot, even non-Americans have rights while within our borders.

RSS

Blog Posts

My Dad and the Communist Spies

Posted by Brad Snowder on August 20, 2014 at 2:39pm 0 Comments

Breaking Free

Posted by A. T. Heist on August 20, 2014 at 9:56am 4 Comments

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service