Vegetarians would like to see a world where no one eats meat. At least some feminists would like to see a world where men and women are essentially the same except for outward appearance. Conservatives think liberalism is wrong and vice versa.

Many people would like to stamp out capital punishment worldwide. Some people feel that everyone should be nice and politically correct at all times and never be angry or rude. Some people say that no one every should tell a lie; others think lying can be good sometimes. Some people think everyone should be (fill in the religion); on the other side are atheists like us. 

Now, imagine a homogenized world. Everyone under the same laws. Believing the same things. Everyone having exactly the same rights and responsibilities. The same limitations and the same opportunities. And everyone's happy with it, including you.

Standing back from this world, would this be a good world or would there be something fundamentally flawed or wrong or dysfunctional with it?

Tags: utopia

Views: 629

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I think I've met your fan club --

My mistake, Unseen - here they are --

a homogenized world looks like communism and the USSR all over again. i don't like that.

i prefer a world that can tolerate the difference .. a world where everybody can tolerate and accept the differences among people .

after all we are not bricks in a wall.

Well no, because people in the USSR weren't happy with it. I was envisioning something a lot more utopian.

Nor do we want to be - we are unique in the entire universe.

The human race is too diverse to ever be completely in harmony on all accounts. I believe utopias have problems we haven't had the luxury to experience. I could do without the rudeness and anger of our present day world though.

I say bad thing. 

Every time I hear “Imagine” I feel compelled to point out that the lyrics could be better (imo)  if they read as “Imagine there was a Heaven”.

In the sci-fi book/film 'The Lathe of Heaven' a homogenized world was a horror. But a world where no one eats meat? That would solve the climate change problem - for the better.

And the culinary climate for the worse.

the same opportunities. And everyone's happy with it

Sounds pretty sweet to me, where do I sign up?

Seriously though, I think you may need to reword your paragraph. If everyone is happy with it (and that's a damn lot more than are happy with ANY existing system), then who are we as outsiders to tell them it is wrong?

Well, once you accept the basic premise of the question, you wouldn't be THERE floating above them in a sort of meta-reality to judge them. You'd be one of the happy many.

RSS

Support T|A

Think Atheist is 100% member supported

All proceeds go to keeping Think Atheist online.

Donate with Dogecoin

Forum

Christian to Atheist. My Testimony.

Started by Toby Briggs in Welcome to Think Atheist. Last reply by captain kingsway 6 minutes ago. 1 Reply

Videos

• Add Videos

Services we love

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Into life hacks? Check out LabMinions.com

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

© 2014   Created by Dan.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service