Vegetarians would like to see a world where no one eats meat. At least some feminists would like to see a world where men and women are essentially the same except for outward appearance. Conservatives think liberalism is wrong and vice versa.

Many people would like to stamp out capital punishment worldwide. Some people feel that everyone should be nice and politically correct at all times and never be angry or rude. Some people say that no one every should tell a lie; others think lying can be good sometimes. Some people think everyone should be (fill in the religion); on the other side are atheists like us. 

Now, imagine a homogenized world. Everyone under the same laws. Believing the same things. Everyone having exactly the same rights and responsibilities. The same limitations and the same opportunities. And everyone's happy with it, including you.

Standing back from this world, would this be a good world or would there be something fundamentally flawed or wrong or dysfunctional with it?

Tags: utopia

Views: 687

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Vegetarians will be having their wishes fulfilled within the next 20 years. Though there might be some unintended consequences

But speaking to your greater point, the Earth itself is not homogenized and to a great extent, cannot be. Why are real estate prices along a lakefront so much more than in nearby land-bound areas? Because it is a limited resource, there is only so much beach. Since there is a limit to how many people can enjoy it, there is an entire value structure built into just the concept of where and how you live. Some feel that the reach for beachfront property (feel free to substitute anything you might want to live nearby, or away from) is worth additional efforts, some feel that people are crazy for paying more just for a view. 

Since our entire world is made up of limited resources, there is little any systemic structure can do to make things equal. Without equality you have difference, with difference you have the seed corn for dismay, tyranny, and revolt. Democracy and to a great extent capitalism have added other potential results, inspiration and entrepreneurism. So in the end, homogenization is a Unicorn.

But let me speak to your greater, greater point; what does it matter if we are rude or not PC or not conforming to generally agreed on behavior? Heinlein has a somewhat appropriate quote on that: "Moving parts in rubbing contact require lubrication to avoid excessive wear. Honorifics and formal politeness provide lubrication where people rub together"For any of us who have opinions that do not really matter to policy or how others are able to live and thrive, rudeness and PCness and lying may not really have an effect in the end. The moment you speak for someone else, or do have an effect on someones life, it matters. 

A homogenized world would be incredibly dull, and two dimensional.  The great thing about diversity is the richness and depth, the opportunity to learn one more new perspective always being just around the corner.  I would rather have the wealth of experience with the conflict.

I'm for everybody having equality of opportunity.  Beyond that, I'd prefer a tangled jungle of variety to explore.

Actually, I got a taste of that when I lived in Mexico and worked in San Diego. I recall one day, stepping out of a store onto a city sidewalk and looking down it, seeing all of the people, about the same height, about the same color of hair, eyes and skin, all speaking one language, and thinking back to the last time I stepped out of my office building in the States, with all possible combinations of skin, hair and eye color and hearing half a dozen languages with single block, and I really came to appreciate the differences.

At the risk of taking attention away from you, Unseen, and certainly, NO one would want that, let's discuss this guy's ideas of how we might shape our future:

Apparently it involves living in a scale model house in a CG reality of some sort.

But seriously...an hour and a half!

I'll wait for the Cliffs Notes or the review to come out on Rotten Tomatoes.

That's like saying, "Stand in line to see the Mona Lisa? I'll wait til it comes out on Etch-A-Sketch!"

But then, we all know how valuable your time is --

You would liken that video to the Mona Lisa?

OK....    (?)

RSS

Atheist Sites

Blog Posts

Rounding Up?

Posted by Carol Foley on November 20, 2014 at 3:17am 2 Comments

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service