Vegetarians would like to see a world where no one eats meat. At least some feminists would like to see a world where men and women are essentially the same except for outward appearance. Conservatives think liberalism is wrong and vice versa.

Many people would like to stamp out capital punishment worldwide. Some people feel that everyone should be nice and politically correct at all times and never be angry or rude. Some people say that no one every should tell a lie; others think lying can be good sometimes. Some people think everyone should be (fill in the religion); on the other side are atheists like us. 

Now, imagine a homogenized world. Everyone under the same laws. Believing the same things. Everyone having exactly the same rights and responsibilities. The same limitations and the same opportunities. And everyone's happy with it, including you.

Standing back from this world, would this be a good world or would there be something fundamentally flawed or wrong or dysfunctional with it?

Tags: utopia

Views: 687

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Do you mean like a flock of sheep is homogenized? 

In what way is a flock of sheep homogenized. Or, perhaps, in how many ways?

You tell me --

Which one's Fred?

Where's Waldo?

It just strikes me that everybody who is committed to and strident about an idea wants a world where everyone agrees with them, so what about a world where everybody agrees about everything. It could be a world where everyone is vegetarian or no one. A world where everyone believes in capital punishment or everyone deplores it. A world where everyone obeys every law and every rule meticulously or the one where anarchists prevail and the only rule (if you want to call it that) is that there are no rules. 

Personally, I like our world where there is disagreement, unpleasantness, rudeness, conflict, drama, and so on. Would we actually be happier in a world with nothing to be unhappy about. Would such a world be good for us as individuals or a species? Would we really (and I mean REALLY in the deepest sense of the word) be happy in an ideal world?

RE: "disagreement, unpleasantness, rudeness" - well I can personally testify that you have certainly done your part to contribute to that world --

smiley face giving the finger round sticker

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Now don't bother me again for the rest of the year --

Fat chance.

arch, Unseen, I love the relationship you two have with each other. It's always a good laugh

We also do birthday parties and supermarket openings - contact our agent --

First cackle of the year, duly initiated....

I left out Bar Mitzvah's --

What few of you know is that arch is actually a sock puppet.

RSS

Atheist Sites

Blog Posts

Rounding Up?

Posted by Carol Foley on November 20, 2014 at 3:17am 2 Comments

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service