Sorry to be so morose on a Friday but hey, so is life.

I was thinking it would be interesting to hear what everyone's thoughts were on what your plans are for your physical body after you die. As atheists do you think we should even care? Will you leave it up to your family? For those in the community who are um....numerically advanced, have you already planned for this in your will?  Does it matter?

I'm only 40 but I've already made plans for my body to go as a cadaver for science be it med school or research. After they're done with me, I could care less. Maybe I should have my body put in the ground so I can be returned to the earth ala Neil Degrasse Tyson. In one of my favorite all times quotes from him he said:

I would request that my body, in death, be buried, not cremated, so that the energy content contained within it gets returned to the earth, so that the flora and fauna can dine upon it, just as I've dined on flora and fauna throughout my life

What are you going to do and how does an atheist affect your decision?

Views: 370

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Would perfer a norse send off with a burning boat and a sword in hand. But there would be legal problems with torching boats and bodies. I don't like the idea of being in dirt (and then peat, coal) until the sun expodes or someone digs me up. I would like a stone sarcophagus. Something that will stand against time a bit better than chemically treated wood.

I too will be a science cadavar. I am a criminologist with a minor focus in forensic anthropology. I am always thankful for those who donated their bodies for my benefit. To paraphrase Dr. William Maples... It is the responsibility of those who have benefitted from biological and osteological models to propegate the next generation of students.

Anyone interested in being cryogenically frozen?  Or is that considered pseudoscience?

I am absolutely going to donate my body to science. I need my last effort in life to fund and help something I love so much. Though I've done a lot of 'substances' so maybe science wouldn't want my body at all haha.

If that's the case I want to be buried without a casket so, like Neil DeGrasse Tyson, I can be returned to the Earth. 

I want to give my body to science. I don't think a lot of African Americans do this so I feel like I'll be helping out even more :)

I have often considered donating my body to science, but, knowing how my life usually runs, I'd probably end up donating it to science fiction.

Seriously, though,  I have signed off on the whole organ donor thing.  If, by the time I shuffle off this mortal coil I've haven't ruined my vital organs, the medical authorities are clear to make use of whatever still works, and dispose of the rest according to local laws and customs.  Face it, I won't be needing any of it.

I will have my organs donated to save lives, and the rest given to science or education. If anything remains, it is to be cremated and then composted. Finally, I want this compost to be distributed in places where my loved ones may visit me and enjoy nature (or "God's creation" if that's how they feel) as I did while I was alive.

I've always intended to be cremated and have my ashes scattered in a garden or an orchard, but I'm also liking an idea of donating my corpse to science more and more, have no problem with that whatsoever - why not make yourself useful to society one last time? Certainly will not have any use for the old (hopefully!) body once I've shuffled off this mortal coil... I have not put together my will yet though, keep thinking how I have to do it, but it's just been one of those things that keep getting pushed to the back burner... Pretty irresponsible on my part, I know - gotta take care of it, and soon - certainly wouldn't want to leave the burden to my kids. 

In the event of me going Comatose, with no chance of me coming out of it, I've made it clear that I do not want to be kept on Life Support. I don't want to burden my family with that. I've basically got it down that they should harvest whatever they want and burn the rest, then mix me into compost and plant a tree with said compost, since I'm pretty sure it's illegal for a corpse to buried without a coffin, and I have no desire for my corps to sit locked up in a grave for all eternity. Do something useful with it.

RSS

Services we love

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by Dan.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service