So Jesse Ventura came out as an Atheist. I thought that he always was known as one, but another atheist site got their panties all in an excited bunch. Someone noted that he's a kook, like him or not, and listed the reasons why he's a kook. Thinking that the US has a weather controlling machine in Alaska for example. Link The one that got me to respond was the World Trade Center and that being a controlled demolition. 

I find the argument humorous. You take out a 110 story building with 30 stories on top and how do you expect it to come down? Don't forget that this was an exoskeleton building so the columns would have been pushing as much material to the middle as possible. One guy put up a link to an Architects and Engineers site saying engineers agree with the collapse problem. They claim 1341 engineers have signed on. Only 52 have contributed, but let's accept the 1341 sign on. There are 1.5 million engineers in the US. So your argument is that .000894% of engineers agree (not counting the architects mind you) so it must be a problem? Why don't you believe in creationism then because I'm sure that many "scientists" (general term) also would agree with Young Earth? 

The core point is, why would skeptics buy such outlandish and unsupportable stories? Do they want to believe life is a movie? Does that make life more exciting? How do you come about rejecting God when reputable people all around you claim that he exists yet fall for this type of thing? We could be talking about ghost hunters, I don't care, but nonsensical gibberish in general. I might be able to be sold the story that Kennedy was killed by Sal Giancana due to a biography by his brother. What sort of unsupportable shenanigans do you buy and why? And why do you think that people buy any of these stories? 

Tags: Conspiracy, Skeptics

Views: 26

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I think that it has to do with the fact that "wrong" has become a four-letter word in our public discourse.
No one likes to be wrong and people tend to be better at rationalizing their beliefs rather than forming them after rational consideration. Atheists are no different.

RSS

Support T|A

Think Atheist is 100% member supported

All proceeds go to keeping Think Atheist online.

Donate with Dogecoin

Members

Forum

Things you hate.

Started by Devlin Cuite in Small Talk. Last reply by Philip Jarrett 3 minutes ago. 172 Replies

Blog Posts

Seeing the man in the child.

Posted by Diane on April 19, 2014 at 9:52am 0 Comments

Videos

• Add Videos

Services we love

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Into life hacks? Check out LabMinions.com

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

© 2014   Created by Dan.