To me the world seems to have lost it's mind. Last few days have looked at pictures of gitmo bay and almost threw up. The dehumanizing of people was beyond words. History talked of hitler and auschwitz. Decades later what I saw in those photos of gitmo made me think of images of the the very humiliation that the United states once fought against. Turkey is burning because of fighting back the government turned on it's own people like a mad dog. here in america we finally start getting rights for LBGT . Along comes salvation army saying that it should be a death sentence. Killing people over religion seems to be on the rise. in india  women are burning for supposed witchcraft and girls killed  being victims of rape . The catholic church is says birth control is wrong . Nuns who argue with church are being excommunicated.  In last political race it was debated whether women had a right to their on viginas .  People are dying world over because of religion and lack of even basic medical and dental care. there is hope for this world right? 

http://www.allegiancemusical.com/blog-entry/young-turks?source=upwo...

http://ccrjustice.org/files/Report_ReportOnTorture.pdf

http://www.examiner.com/article/lgbt-parenting-a-death-sentence-wit...

http://www.commondreams.org/headline/2013/05/29-6

Tags: Army, Death, Human, LBGT, Salvation, abuses, religon, rights

Views: 2793

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Criticizing Islam does not equate with bigotry . It is a religion . If you believe that criticizing a religious belief or a religion is bigotry , you have problems other than your obvious failure in critical thinking . Ad hominem attacks against my character only serve to illustrate the weakness of your argument , and your failure at refuting mine . Had you actually read any of my postings , You would know that I never defended the system at Gitmo . I made assertions that I did not believe the detainees were innocent victims , Gitmo is not anything like Auschwitz , Islam is the most backward and violent of the monotheisms , Islam is a grave threat to western culture and civil society . If you believe it is not , you are far more naive and gullible than your postings make you appear .
And by the way , not guilty does NOT equate with innocent . It equates with " not guilty " . Being found not guilty of something means that not enough evidence was found to convict . That's all . It does not address one's innocence . That's why juries don't read out " innocent " at the end of a trial .

I've heard a TV attorney state that "not guilty" actually means "not proven" rather than "innocent."

@ The O man;

I think Ray Ray may have missed the "innocent until proven" part.

@ Ray;

Under our jurisprudence a verdict of "not guilty" does mean "innocent".  It means "innocent" so strongly and firmly that we have another rule called "double jeopardy".

Oh really ? Try doing a bit of research on that . A verdict of not guilty means precisely that . The case hasn't been proven . However , I can see how that would be unclear for you .
And a verdict of not guilty necessarily can mean either 'we are convinced the person is innocent' and 'we are not convinced the person is innocent, but the prosecution didn't make its case'. Either way, double jeopardy applies.

"Not guilty" does not equate with innocent.   Just look at some trials.

How about the O.J. Simpson case? He was found not guilty in the criminal trial.  Very few people really doubt his guilt in the murders.

The jury in the civil trial had no difficulty in believing he was guilty.

A bit of trivia, since we're on the topic.
In Scotland, there are three options: Guilty, not proven, and not guilty. These verdicts pretty much work out as follows:
Guilty: We're convinced the accused did it.
Not Proven: We're not convinced the accused is innocent, but the state has not made its case.
Not guilty: We're convinced the accused is innocent. This has been used in a fashion similar to jury nullification, where the jury comes to a not guilty verdict despite the state having demonstrated the facts of the case.

Not a single one has been found guilty to western standards. Therefore they are guilty of nothing of interest to western law. I am wondering how long it is going to take them to realize how many thousands of public figures in the US they can sue for defamation.

"I agree that some in Gitmo are worse than others , that , however does not in any way mean the detainees are poor innocent lambs ."

When they are found guilty in a court of law by a jury of their peers with all the rights the West has found essential for justice you be sure to get back to me.

In fact get back to the when the FIRST one is convicted under those terms.

Until then, how do they differ from those guilty Jews?

"Many of those released have gone back to taking up arms against the west ."

If I were held in prison for years as an innocent person rest assured I would strongly consider exercising my moral right to revenge for the imprisonment.

They are still human. There are those who have been sent there that are not just islamic. The comparison fit the images i saw of gitmo. only thing missing is the gas chambers.  

RSS

Blog Posts

Life Condensed

Posted by Cato Rigas on October 19, 2014 at 8:30pm 0 Comments

Cool Vehicle Inspection!

Posted by Ed on October 18, 2014 at 9:03am 2 Comments

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service