To me the world seems to have lost it's mind. Last few days have looked at pictures of gitmo bay and almost threw up. The dehumanizing of people was beyond words. History talked of hitler and auschwitz. Decades later what I saw in those photos of gitmo made me think of images of the the very humiliation that the United states once fought against. Turkey is burning because of fighting back the government turned on it's own people like a mad dog. here in america we finally start getting rights for LBGT . Along comes salvation army saying that it should be a death sentence. Killing people over religion seems to be on the rise. in india  women are burning for supposed witchcraft and girls killed  being victims of rape . The catholic church is says birth control is wrong . Nuns who argue with church are being excommunicated.  In last political race it was debated whether women had a right to their on viginas .  People are dying world over because of religion and lack of even basic medical and dental care. there is hope for this world right? 

http://www.allegiancemusical.com/blog-entry/young-turks?source=upwo...

http://ccrjustice.org/files/Report_ReportOnTorture.pdf

http://www.examiner.com/article/lgbt-parenting-a-death-sentence-wit...

http://www.commondreams.org/headline/2013/05/29-6

Tags: Army, Death, Human, LBGT, Salvation, abuses, religon, rights

Views: 2786

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I don't know the future, but clearly the steady state theory that preceded it (the notion that the cosmos always existed) has been corrected based on evidence.

Your point being?

Having faith in science is an oxymoron.

Not really if one uses "faith" in its sense as a synonym for trust. I can't speak for each and every atheist but I and many others, I'm sure, believe that science has the best shot of revealing knowledge because it has a tried and true methodology and the ability to self-correct.

What's the alternative?

My differential equations professor said mathematics is founded on faith.

Further remarks explained his intent and I understood him as having said mathematicians have faith in their ability to do mathematics successfully.

arch: "As for Tom, I suspect he still believes we never landed on the moon...."

Put a leash on your fantasies. In Daytona Beach and then in Houston, I was employed in GE's Apollo Support Program, running thermal analysis studies. We computed how rapidly to roll the craft so that one side would not constantly face the sun and overheat.

I was likely at Martin-Marietta, with the Saturn program in Littleton, about that same time.

But then, I'm not the one implying the Big Bang never happened.

RE: "Put a leash on your fantasies." - why would you want to bring my sex life to a dead stop?

Compared to the world as it was just 50 years ago it is quite an improvement. Compared to a century ago it is almost unrecognizable. One of the reasons Darwin delayed publication was an 1838 blasphemy trial and conviction in England. Two centuries ago in Europe an atheist could have been run out of town. Three centuries ago imprisoned and possibly executed. From there you can work backwards through the 30 years war, the 100 years war to the Crusades.

The common thread in all of it, going back to the Judean wars of conquest and conversion in the 2nd c. BC is the intolerance of the Yahwist religions. Judaism, Christianity and Islam are the only religions which have ever made war in the name of religion.

This has taken a very strange turn, defending Gitmo as the right place to put Muslims. But you can't compare Gitmo to that Christian holocaust thing because Muslims are misogynists or some such. And please no one mention the Jews. They run a tyrannical military dictatorship over millions of non-Jews just for the fun of it.

All Yahwists are the same. It is just a matter of opportunity to show it.

Ten years ago last month the US staged its own Red Dawn on Iraq murdering up to a million Iraqi soldiers who were attempting to defend their country from foreign invasion. Soon after Pravda reported the terrorist Iraqi Wolverines killing Americans. Lets keep Gitmo in perspective. Pardon if I do not go into the terrorists in Pakistan which justified a similar Red Dawn in Afghanistan. India should be grateful it is no longer called Hindustan.

Make no mistake, I'm not saying radicals don't need to be dealt with, just not like this. I was a christian once upon a time I certainly wouldn't take kindly...I had the privilege of thought and reason on my side. 

There is no need to apologize to racists. We deal with criminals every damned day. We put them on trial and let a jury decide. That has nothing whatsoever to do with Gitmo. Until convicted they are innocent by US law, period. End of discussion.

This just in:

"Faith and Freedom Coalition will hold its 2013 conference and strategy session in Washington from June 13-15th with the slogan 'Building a Conservative pro-family majority'.  Featured speakers include Rand Paul, Rick Santorum, Rick Perry, Herman Cain, Michelle Bachmann, Paul Ryan, Allen West, Ted Cruz, and Bobby Jindal. The group also published a candidate scorecard for the Virginia Governor Race and scored Ken Cuccinelli positively for his stances against same-sex marriage, being anti 'abortion on demand' and support of repealing Obamacare."

Wouldn't you like to be a fly on the wall?

RSS

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service