So I am 21 years old and for the first time in my life I have a job! Hooray!
So I started working 2 weeks ago and well, the place is full of religious stuff everywhere.
I work for a nationwide insurance company and they have crosses everywhere, biblical quotes on the walls, and even their card holders is some bible verse.
They have the radio set to the christian radio station and it gets a bit annoying.
How can I deal with this? Well I guess I can't do anything about it...
Well I guess my concern is what do I do if they ever ask me something about religion and I tell them I'm an Atheist? I'm scared I'll get fired for that.
What if I take my "Feminist Atheist" coffee mug to work?!
Have you guys ever dealt with something like this?

Tags: Job, Jobs, Religious

Views: 1488

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hahaha I never thought about that first sentence you wrote. Hilarious!

I have same problem.This problem is only at work for you.But i have this problem whole in my life in an islamic country.Most of people respect to islam here even my parents and my family.I have improved a solution for this problem: Being honest and doing best always work.I try to convinced them atheism is a way of doing the world better.

If the money is important to your survival then you must assume a low profile unfortunately. I would casually ask someone who works for the company if they have any misgivings about ensuring non-christians or the irreligious. And whether or not they should be concerned if a potential client visiting the office doesn't appreciate the overtures about Jebus.

Earbuds would be the only way I could tolerate that particular work environment very long.

You've been given good advice here and I would like to add something about the radio.  I don't want this to sound paranoid or anti-Christian, but Christian radio is tricky.  I have listened to it in the past out of morbid curiosity.  I wanted to understand evangelical Christians better, and I did learn a great deal, but some of their ideas insidiously began to make sense.  Some of what they were saying still does make sense because they're talking about basic spiritual principles as if only Christians have access to them.  They know how to go for people's weak spots.  What I am saying is that sometimes the Christian radio is more than just annoying - it can be downright indoctrinating even for solid atheists.

So my suggestion is to tolerate it with as much grace and dignity as you can until you can find a different job.  If you stay there 6 months and then move on in the company's good graces, You'll likely have a good job reference.  If you leave sooner, that's ok too because you'll be able to establish a work history somewhere else.  In 10 years it won't matter.  In 30 years you probably won't even remember much about the place.

I somehow manage to block the radio almost all day. I don't care about their shenanigans! They'll never get to me! Never!

I somehow manage to block the radio almost all day. I don't care about their shenanigans! They'll never get to me! Never!

You might also consider playing a little freethought radio.

Full archive: http://ffrf.org/news/radio/shows/

The mini media player above has a white 'play' button against a white background. Click the left end of the box to play the December 2013 Freethought radio podcast. Click the same spot to pause it.

I don't want this to sound paranoid or anti-Christian, but Christian radio is tricky.  I have listened to it in the past out of morbid curiosity.  I wanted to understand evangelical Christians better, and I did learn a great deal, but some of their ideas insidiously began to make sense.

I did warn you.

Congratulations - you have a job. Money. Fabulous.

Just remember its your job - its not who you are.

Treat it like personal developement and to not let things stress you because you have a long working life ahead of you and you will always work with difficult people. Even if they were all non-religious, you will still have problems because people are just like that.

The rules are simple .Dont gossip - nobody there is really your friend. Keep your manners on and be respectful. You can be who you really are outside of work.

All the best to you.

Thanks!

Remember...before you go and tell these people your views...get pass the probationary period first.  I believe in the first 90 days, they can let you go for any reason.  Just saying!  :) 

True true.

RSS

Atheist Sites

Forum

What is the Destiny of Intelligence?

Started by Roy Plisko in Philosophy. Last reply by Unseen 2 hours ago. 61 Replies

conspiracy theories

Started by Seth Richardson in Small Talk. Last reply by Unseen 4 hours ago. 20 Replies

Criticize the ideology, not the person?

Started by Erock68la in Small Talk. Last reply by Erock68la 4 hours ago. 28 Replies

6 YEARS!

Started by Dan in Announcements. Last reply by Pope Beanie 9 hours ago. 6 Replies

The Movie Kiss: Romance or Rape?

Started by Unseen in Society. Last reply by Pope Beanie 9 hours ago. 12 Replies

Blog Posts

Rounding Up?

Posted by Carol Foley on November 20, 2014 at 3:17am 2 Comments

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service